Scooooore!

unclej

ok, things are a little slow around here lately so i thought i'd brag a little. i ran into a buddy of mine this morning at the hardware store and he asked me if i could use some pecan slabs. of course i said sure and met him at his place this afternoon. he's a rock mason but on the side he slabs out fallen trees and makes mantles out of them. he lost his storage facility and had a trailer full of wood that according to him was just going to go to waste. i litterally filled my pickup with about 15 slabs of pecan that's been air dried for three years...they're all about 8' long and they range in width from about 8" to 24" and all are about 2" thick. four of the slabs are more than wide enough to cut into guitar blanks. nearly all of them have some spalt in them.

so expect some pics of pecan guitars soon.

so what's your best free score?

Do amps count? I got a free Roland RG300 combo amp once. All it needed was an on/off switch. 300 watts of output and 2 12" electrovoices. Let's see...a craftsman compound miter radial armsaw(brushes needed cleaning), a dewalt 20" scroll saw(also needed a new on off switch), a slab of purple heart. That about covers it.

:D Lucky me, right? It astounds me what people will get rid of.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Enough black walnut to make a walnut bass plus part of another bass that I'm working on now.

shoot..that's a nice score.

Do amps count? I got a free Roland RG300 combo amp once. All it needed was an on/off switch. 300 watts of output and 2 12" electrovoices. Let's see...a craftsman compound miter radial armsaw(brushes needed cleaning), a dewalt 20" scroll saw(also needed a new on off switch), a slab of purple heart. That about covers it.

:D Lucky me, right? It astounds me what people will get rid of.

you're right..it's that old adage about one man's garbage and all.

Not free, but I got some eBay wood in the post today: Rippled European Sycamore and African Mahogany:

thumb-sycamore_monolith1.jpg

None of it very cheap by US standards, but a pretty good deal for the UK

that sycamore sounds nice..like to see what you make out of it.

i guess my all time best deal was with a painter that used to work for me. he had a shotgun that had belonged to his dad and he sold it to me for fifty dollars. it was a three year old remington 12 gauge semi-automatic. when he delivered it he gave me the gun, a plano shell case that holds four boxes of shells. he then added fifteen boxes of shells from 00 buck to heavy dove loads and then three days later he brought me his dad's complete reloding setup including 6 sets of dies..four of which i had guns that matched. all for fifty bucks.

Board of riftsawn, solidly flamed maple, 1 1/8" x 8" x 120" for $30 :D

I'm saving it for double bass sides.

:D

not wood, or even guitar related, but i had once was given a 1984 ATC110 3 wheeler, ran ok, smoked bad, and needed 3 tires, i had it given to me because the owner (neighbour) said it just quit on him one day and it never started up again. Cleaned the carb, fresh gas, had it goin in 4 pulls :D

sold that bike for about 250 bucks (maybe it was only 200?)

Curtis

A job building guitars/free learnin'

Do you actually build guitars for a living? As yourself, or do you work for someone?

I was getting ready to finish my tele and I bought a compressor from a guy who works for a guitar co. in the area. Long story short, they were looking for a "lackey" to do some of the crap jobs and they liked my tele so they offered me a job. Its part time but its damn cool. Its a pretty small opperation (5 guys maybe).

Matt, there is NO WAY I would ever consider myself worthy of charging a cent for anything I have done. I feel like they should be charging less for the guitars I have even touched :D Done some sanding on some necks, bodies, some drilling. Gonna resaw some tops tomorrow. They had me do some shaping on some bodies the other day, they were like "here's the rasp, just do this", I felt like someone said "here's the controls, I gotta go take a piss, dont crash" B)

Here are some pics of the Tele

-sorry about derailing this thread :D

-sorry about derailing this thread

don't worry about that man, this thread wasn't meant to go anywhere anyway. :D

not a guitar at all, but i got an 1982 bmw 635csi for free this year./QUOTE]

i'll trade ya some pecan blanks for it. :D

Hey Jay, did you hook up with Gadow guitars over in Durham ? Or are you working at Zion guitars in Raleigh ? Or is there another company around here building guitars that I don't know about ?

I actually went over and met the guys at Gadow guitars in Durham. They ran an ad for a full time assistant a couple of months ago. But I wasn't able to commit to it full time, so they weren't very interested in talking to me. I think they are starting to move some merchandise and they were looking to ramp up their production to meet the demand.

Well a couple good ones:

--My dad had a 10 foot long, 1 foot wide, 2" thick slab of black walnut that's been air drying in his garage for the last 25 years. I made a bass out of it, and am probably going to help a friend build a strat from the same wood also-- talk about a good deal! The best part is, he also has 3 more planks of similar dimensions!

Also, I bought a beautiful Swamp Ash blank from Matt Vinson (aka GuitarFrenzy) on this site that's being used in a 70% complete bass right now for a good deal. It turned out that it had a wormhole in it (that neither of us could have possibly known about), so he's sending me another blank for free-- talk about a good score there!