Starting My First Electrig Guitar Project

Is anyone here able to help me from scratch,the first things to do when building a electric guitar things iam unsure about are wood thickness and sizes for the neck,body and heastock,alsodo you just trace around a shape of a guitar you like to use as a template?

Iam also unsure how you get the measurments in for the neck joiunt on the body and pickup spacing on the body,also the bridge.

Is it best to measure from a guitar you have or what ?

Determining Neck Angle

Tutorials on building guitar bodies

tutorials on building necks

You know, a lot of people would take great offense to your obvious lack of preparedness(which becomes evident through your questions). Never the less, the links I have posted should help quite a bit. I can give you two other pieces of advice. First, if you have a question, try to use the forum's search function to find an answer. Second, go buy Melvin Hisock's book, Make Your Own Electric Guitar. It will answer a plethora of your questions.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

I also think you would do well to purchase a good book on building. We are fortunate to have so many resources available. Not too long ago a lot of modern builders had to figure this stuff out by trial and error. You will be able to get a solid foundation and a great sourse for reference with Hisock's book. After you have that foundation and understand the process. You can look at how others have gone about these tasks with different tools and techniques. Trying to build without understanding and a solid plan will only frustrate you. If you really want to get started before getting a book. Go to the main site and read through the tutorials, it will give you a lot of good information.

Peace,Rich

That is some seriously golden advice, guitar chunk. The questions you have now are vague and uninformed. Just think of the number of questions you will have when you have "answered" the one's you have already posed. I don't want to appear as though I'm on a soapbox - I come here for answers same as you. I have found that informing myself as much as possible before asking a serious question yields much more productive results.

Hiscock's book cost me $30 and saved me hundreds, not a bad buy at all.

Good luck with your research, and welcome to the forum!

Nate Robinson

I also think you would do well to purchase a good book on building. We are fortunate to have so many resources available. Not too long ago a lot of modern builders had to figure this stuff out by trial and error. You will be able to get a solid foundation and a great sourse for reference with Hisock's book. After you have that foundation and understand the process. You can look at how others have gone about these tasks with different tools and techniques. Trying to build without understanding and a solid plan will only frustrate you. If you really want to get started before getting a book. Go to the main site and read through the tutorials, it will give you a lot of good information.

Peace,Rich

+1

Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' remains popular for a reason, and runs you through the construction of several instruments step by step. Use the tutorials here and on the main site (and the MIMF.com library) for additional info, but MYOEG is an excellent basic text, and really, you don't need much else to build a guitar. Nice to have more info, but the book alone would do.

Is anyone here able to help me from scratch,the first things to do when building a electric guitar

First thing to do is to start reading, looking. This site is pretty good, but the Hickock book is a much better and concise introduction to what you're facing. After you've read through that, you'll be able to use this site more efficiently.

It's going to help a lot to gain a little patience--depending on your previous woodworking skills, there's a real learning curve involved here.

From your questions, I'm guessing you're pretty new at all of this (someone with woodworking experience knows how to take measurements!).

So you're going to have to learn how to use the various tools involved as well. That takes time, there are no shortcuts. Plan on going through a lot of scrap. And it's best to plan on screwing up your first build.

For someone with no previous woodworking experience, attempting a from-scratch build is a rather steep first project --I'd recommend working on a mod first. That'll also give you experience refinishing.

See above.

A question comes to mind: If you have the guitar you want to build, why would you want to build it? Best to build something you don't have.

On the other hand, in my own experience, it's best to MODIFY a guitar you already have --including reshaping the body, if you feel like doing that.

It's a great way to get your feet wet. But since the neck pocket and bridge placement are already done for you, you can concentrate your learning process on less vital parts of the guitar.

Oh yeah, and don't let the other guys' grumpy (eh-hem!) responses to throw you--people here are EXTREMELY helpful (and especially all of the guys who have already replied to your post)-- IF (and that's a BIG IF) you show that you're committed to doing your own research, work etc.

Is anyone here able to help me from scratch,the first things to do when building a electric guitar

First thing to do is to start reading, looking. This site is pretty good, but the Hickock book is a much better and concise introduction to what you're facing. After you've read through that, you'll be able to use this site more efficiently.

It's going to help a lot to gain a little patience--depending on your previous woodworking skills, there's a real learning curve involved here.

From your questions, I'm guessing you're pretty new at all of this (someone with woodworking experience knows how to take measurements!).

So you're going to have to learn how to use the various tools involved as well. That takes time, there are no shortcuts. Plan on going through a lot of scrap. And it's best to plan on screwing up your first build.

For someone with no previous woodworking experience, attempting a from-scratch build is a rather steep first project --I'd recommend working on a mod first. That'll also give you experience refinishing.

See above.

A question comes to mind: If you have the guitar you want to build, why would you want to build it? Best to build something you don't have.

On the other hand, in my own experience, it's best to MODIFY a guitar you already have --including reshaping the body, if you feel like doing that.

It's a great way to get your feet wet. But since the neck pocket and bridge placement are already done for you, you can concentrate your learning process on less vital parts of the guitar.

Oh yeah, and don't let the other guys' grumpy (eh-hem!) responses to throw you--people here are EXTREMELY helpful (and especially all of the guys who have already replied to your post)-- IF (and that's a BIG IF) you show that you're committed to doing your own research, work etc.

Thanks guys for your help and info,i have currently just purchased the book that has been mentioned and i had to order it from the states as iam from new zealand,so hopefully this will help alot and pin point all the guidlines,also i do think i will try a mod on my ibanez rg maple neck as the neck is worn down,would it be best to buy a already made rg neck and just replace it or just replace the fretboard?