Help Picking The Right Pups For Project Guitar

dawnofzion

I have an old fender body and neck and I am going to rebuild it with all new electronics. It is a squier one bullet from the 80's. It has a telecaster style body with a strat headon it. The pickup set up it has is a Humbucker in the bridge position and two single coils in middle and neck (HSS) . I want this guitar to be a screamer. I want it to be my metal guitar. I will be playing alot of lower tuned stuff so I want the pickups to be good for that. What humbucker would you guys recommend for the bridge?

I was looking at the Dimarzio Tone zone, or evo 2 for the bridge.

A dimarzio chopper for the middle

A dimarzio fast track2 for the neck.

any thoughts on this? I want the harmonics to scream as well as have the fat low end on the low tuned palm mutes and stuff.. I will be playing stuff like pantera, sevendust, element eighty, and nonpoint. Any suggestions on which pickup would be the best for what i'm looking for.

thanks.

If you want those squeeling harmonics I would recommend an Evolution in the bridge instead of the ToneZone.

The ToneZone I fit in my Charvel is perfect for my style (very fast, very precise picking (big Paul Gilbert fan)), but not so great on the harmonics side. I've played a few Jems with Evolutions in and they give a very similer sound to the ToneZone, with more sustain and harmonics allover the fretboard (although that's what the Jems are made for :D ).

The other two sound good though, I actually went for two Seymour Duncans in the SS spaces of my HSS Charvel, combined with the ToneZone at the bridge.

i was advised against the drop sonic. this is what they told me when i was looking at the d-sonic and invader.

The dropsonic and invader pups look inviting, at first, when you want to build a metal guitar. But in reality, they aren't all that great. They sound muddy, and don't work well with dropped tunings. They don't have any real tone at all - just volume and way too much bass and low mid range.

I think i have decided on either the evo or the evo2.

what is the main difference between these two? is it just that the original evo is a little hotter pickup?

I honestly don't think you're going to like the Evo for what you're trying to get. The Drop Sonic was designed specifically for dropped tunings on a six-string guitar. The Evo was not. I would suggest trying the DS first and if you don't like it, exchange it for the Evo.

ok i am confused on what to get. I am thinking about the tone zone instead of the evo because a lot of poeple have suggested the tone zone. I don't know anythign about the drop sonic and I haven't talked to anyone who actually has personal experience with the drop sonic. So I am kind of afraid to get it.