Worst Guitar Or Bass You Ever Played

boogiewoogieman

As of now, this thread has little or no value. It's little more than here say. Now, explain why it's the worst guitar you've every played and why you'd not recommend it, and you've got an informative thread that will prevent people from making mistakes when buying guitars. Here, I'll give an example:

I would advise against a Fender stratocoustic. I bought one and found the acoustic sound to be quite tinny. It also lacked the vibrant fullness associated with a large bodied acoustic. The piezo suffered from the same symptoms. As far as reliability and quality of construction goes, I cannot fault it. It's built well and works well. Although, the composite top chips easily.

peace,

russ

I had a Rickenbacker 4001 back when I was a bass player...I really wanted to like that bass, but just never could. I much preferred my cheapo Univox!

The very first electric I had was one of those horrible Japanese-built guitars that you could get at Sears in the early 70s...that guitar definitely kept me from learning how to play. It was so difficult to play --convinced me I sucked and would never be any good, and I didn't have anyone around to explain to me differently.

Oh yeah, and pretty much anything pointy and metal-looking. Makes me giggle too much. :D

Years ago I played in a gospel/blues/motown type thing, and we had hell keeping bass players.

The current bass player was a big, stupid, loud farm boy (sorry farm boys - I know you're not all loud :D ), and had a hard time showing up on time, or at all. Every time he didn't show up, I got to play bass. Luckily, I carried a bass with me most of the time just for such an occasion and we ran it through the PA.

The band leader booked us to play a freebie at a local shelter, and I knew it was gonna blow big time. I told the leader I wasn't bring my bass, I wasn't playing bass, and he better hope the guy showed up.

About 15 minutes until showtime, the leader came up to me and said, "Man, the guy's not here. I don't think he's coming. I really need you to play bass."

I told him I didn't have a bass so, sorry, can't help ya.

He pulled out an old beat up Hagstrom bass with nasty looking dead old flatwounds and said, "It's ok. I brought mine."

:D

Reluctantly, I agreed.

There was no room on the house PA to plug in, so he suggested I use my little Yamaha 30W solid state guitar amp, since it was there and I wouldn't be playing guitar through it anyway.

B)

Reluctantly, I agreed.

The stage was a bare plywood riser thing that boomed out as you walked across it, so I thought it might carry the sound of my amp without having to turn up loud enough to blow my speaker.

Long story short, we played the gig, the captive audience loved it, and I left with blood blisters on my fingers from those nasty old dead flatwounds.

That was the last time I ever saw any of those people.

the B.C. Rich Warlock guitar. or most importantly, the budget copies of this thing.

in edinburgh i was in a guitar shop and got a new strap. when buying i asked the guy behind the counter if i could have play on the B.C. Rich.

two things here, i always ask to play the guitars and i always say "is it really ok, because im not going to buy it and i dont want to seem like a tire kicker" to which you usually get a freindly response and its much less embarrasing when you walk out without buying anything.

secondly, i played a Rich Bich once and i was in love! yet every B.C. Rich guitar or copy has never stood up to it and its put me right off the intire brand.

i digress. the Edinburgh guitar sounded auwful and after two minutes inspection the neck was warped!

in Aberdeen i played yet another warlock, again! a twist in the neck!

Elgin, i couldnt get it to tune and neither could the shop owner.

id say that was a pretty clear warning, i'll stick to my SG's :D

I'll get beaten for saying this out loud....

Ernie Ball MusicMan bass. Got it, played it, didn't like it at all :D Its still collecting dust in my studio. I watched a reggae band and the guy was just killing his MM so of course I had to get one. I quickly found it was not meant to be played by the likes of me! Good bass but not suited to this old blues guys style.

at my school theres this no name accoustic with a popsicle stick for a bridge and like an inch of action. theres no truss rod so the neck is visibly bowed ( as in you can tell its bowed if someone is playing it) and i think the bottom is covered with electrical tape because of a hole. oh, and the frets are worn away and the nut is part of the wood.

that is the worst guitar i ever played. try and beat that. :D

As of now, this thread has little or no value. It's little more than here say. Now, explain why it's the worst guitar you've every played and why you'd not recommend it, and you've got an informative thread that will prevent people from making mistakes when buying guitars.

peace,

russ

I second that, this is just another I hate this brand thread!

The first to acoustics I had the 'pleasure' of playing: nylon string, laminated tops, backs, sides (fancy way of saying 'plywood')...although, one might have a solid top, judging by the enormous crack running down it. 1/2" or more of action at 12th, flat, uncomfortable classical necks, nylon strings, and absolutely no tone to speak of.

Then there was the guitar some friends asked me if I could fix: classical, japanese, plywood back and sides, plywood top that was coming apart in spots, had bellied like mad behind the bridge and dipped in front, the bridge was being held on by a bit of glue, 4 screws and about 6 nails. Bridge had gone so far south that the strings were resting on the fretboard along most of its length. Let's just say it was a fun exercise in taking an acoustic apart, but little else.

well ill start out by saying it was supposed to have the action it had because it was a slide guitar. so any way my grandpa gave me his old slide acoustic because he doesnt play any more and knows that i love guitars when he gave it to me my grandma said i should play something on it, i explained the difference between regular and slide guitar but she insisted and on that day my friends....rang out the worst rendition of iron man you will ever hear

I can't pin it down to one single guitar but I have gone into pawn shops and been shown their very best musical instruments. All 100 % AMERICAN MADE AND LATE MODEL IN PERFECT SHAPE. Yeah right. A couple of those boogers with the rusty high gauge strings did some damage to my fingers before I called it quits. Seems to me the worst one was an archtop acoustic made by Silvertone that had not been picked up off the shelf in like 15 years. Action from hedoubleL and tuners that were wrapped the wrong way on the top three strings. What kept those strings from breaking aftwer all these years is the real question. :D