Bass Recommendations

Alexander

Hi all,

I'm a guitarist by "trade", but I've always enjoyed playing bass, been in a few bands as a bassist but nothing for a few years.

I've just recently joined a new band as a bassist, and realised that my current bass (Aria Pro II) doesn't really cut it. It sounds good, to me, but it's a dog to play and it's definitely seen better days.

Could you give me some recommendations for "great for the money" basses? I don't want to spend a fortune as it's not my main instrument, but some pointers for brands/models that you think are good value for money would be fantastic. What are the bass collection ones like? The Peavey Grind?

Also, if you'd be so kind, your recommendations for a 1x15 bass combo - again, don't want to spend a fortune and I don't need a lot of power (probably 200w max).

Thanks in advance guys!

Alexander

For amps I'd reccomend the SWR 1x15 combo but I can't remember if they still offer it. For basses I have always liked standard fenders but I can't really help you on that one because about a year ago I bought a Fender American Deluxe five string so I havn't really been looking at all the new stuff.

I played a Grind for a year or two and it is a great bass for the money. I had some issues with the neck though because it is so thin so I would recommend playing the one you are considering (don't buy one online) and check the frets and neck real well.

Another low priced bass that sounds good is the Epi Les Paul bass. Put some decent p'ups in it and you have a great low priced thumper. If you want to spend a few more bucks buy the Vinnie Hornsby Les Paul. I can't stop playing mine!

Fender Jazz is also a decent bass and you can pick them up on eBay for a decent price.

Lots of good 1x15 combos out there and again it depends on your $$$ situation. I have a Peavey Combo 115 that I am willing to part with. PM me if you're interested and in the US....its way too heavy to ship further than the lower 48.

Edited by bluespresence

I played a Grind for a year or two and it is a great bass for the money. I had some issues with the neck though because it is so thin so I would recommend playing the one you are considering (don't buy one online) and check the frets and neck real well.

Another low priced bass that sounds good is the Epi Les Paul bass. Put some decent p'ups in it and you have a great low priced thumper. If you want to spend a few more bucks buy the Vinnie Hornsby Les Paul. I can't stop playing mine!

Fender Jazz is also a decent  bass and you can pick them up on eBay for a decent price.

Lots of good 1x15 combos out there and again it depends on your $$$ situation. I have a Peavey Combo 115 that I am willing to part with. PM me if you're interested and in the US....its way too heavy to ship further than the lower 48.

Ah, I'm in the UK but thanks anyway!

Those are some great leads, fellas - I appreciate it! I'll go and do some digging...

Thanks again!