Dust Extraction

jammy

I have a 1HP dust collector I hook up to my edgesander, bandsaw and thickness sander. I also have a 3HP shop-vac for general clean-up.

I have a leaf blower. At the end of the day...open up the garage door, move the cars out of the driveway, and blow your dust into oblivion. Now it's someone else's problem. Well, technically I sweep up first and then blow whatever I couldn't get to with the blower. The only freestanding tools I own that have some sort of dust collection port are my bandsaw and router table.

It's also a good idea to hook up your tools CLOSE to the DC. The longer and more bent your hoses are the weaker the DC suction is.

You can see in my Finished Workshop pics thread how I have my edgesander and bandsaw in one corner of the room, cornering my DC. One of those fancy 'round-the-room DC hose systems may look more 'workshoppy', but you need a huge DC to efficiently run a system like that.

I just found this website where you can calculate the size of DC you'd need:

http://www.woodworkingtools.com/Editorials/february.html

It strikes me as a tad strange that the cfm ratings that each tool requires are not in it's specifications.

I've only ever seen thickness sanders list them.

• 2 weeks later...

You know I don't actually keep all my equipment hooked up all the time. I have quick connects on the equipment and just use a single 4" hose that I hook the equipment up with(so I didn't really have to worry about multiple loads on the system, even if I add equipment). It is easy and only takes a couple extra seconds to snap the hose on. I also have a floor sweep hose I can snap on. My shop equipment gets moved around a bit so a "hard" piped system would be kinda hard to design. One thing I prefer is a good sized bag. My collector was under $200 and the hose and fittings add a little cost. You will really find it to be a great investment.

Peace,Rich