Sanding Paint Off

i wasnt giving that area any more sanding until the spot appeared. then when i sanded it, it got bigger. it probabibily is breaking through the sealer, because its left handed and thats where the gut cut meets the back, so it sticks out. so what should i do? should i sand and seal that spot, or should i sand all the sealer off the rest of it?

sorry i called it a neck. i have no idea what i was thinking :D.

well... no... it wont be the same size.EDIT - there will be a FRACTIONAL difference. just make sure you sand uniformally and dont stay in one spot...otherwise itll reshape the body SLIGHTLY and yes, it will be smooth if you sand it right. once you get all that sealer off, switch to a higher grit paper, work your way up to like a 220 grit, take a wet rag and dampen the wood. This raises the wood fiber, sand that fiber off with 220 or 320 grit sand paper and repeat it once. After you do that it should be as smooth as bare would can get. I dont know what kind of wood that is.. but im not gonna go into sealer and grainfilling... theres whole tutorials on that..

BTW... if your going to use a translucent color, your gonna have to sand the sealer off to make it look uniform... but if your painting with solid colors, then you can just seal that one spot, spray a coat of primer, and it will be nice and even

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

shouldnt go down too far, and once you put a new finish on it will make up for the finish you sanded off so it should be relitively the same size as before... I did a strat that i burnt with a blowtorch, added an oil finish.. then sanded that off and refinished it with a pearlescent paint, and the change hasnt been noticeable. So i wouldnt worry about that too much.

I put my stain on before the sealer. I was staining quilted maple though. With that type it might be better to go to www.reranch.com and look into their translucent paints. With these youd want to seal it first, then apply it. But with a regular wood stain, I dont think the sealer will accept the dye. Someone else may want to chyme in now... i did staining on quilt maple, but im not sure what the BEST way is to do it on this type of wood.