I'm Going To Scream

Call me retarded, and I know you will......

But I am in a bit of a bind.

I ordered THESE tuning keys for my first build 9LP copy) a while back, and well, the machine screw (which is a black flathead/phillips-head that measures right on 1/16" by my ruler, top to tip) somehow disappeared out of the end of the tuning key.........which is kind of important if i want the tuning key to stay in one piece..... :D

and for the LIFE of me, I cannot find it's replacement at any hardware store.

I'm thinking of starting to call the guitar shops and see if they will just HAND me one (although the luthier/guitar repairman in the downtown area wouldn't sell me any of his plastic binding, but he'd sure as hell put new binding on my guitar for me if i needed him to.....he's a bit of a prick.)

I don't really want to have to buy new tuning keys, my budget is running thin, and well, the guitar is all done, just needs all the hardware added and wired up........then it will probably explode, but at least im that far, aye?

Edited by blakeish

Are those sperezles? A lot of online stores sell replacement parts. Also, if you buy a set of knobs for sperezles(or schallers for that matter), they normally come with an extra set of screws. Don't give up on the machine screw, these are not uncommon. I'm suprised a local hardware store couldn't help you.

Don't be so quick to call this guitar repairman a prick. That is his living. He doensn't proclaim to be some sort of guitar building parts supplier. That's why we have stewmac, lmii, and what not. You asking for binding from him is actually slightly disrespectful, in a sense. Think of it as taking food from his mouth, so to speak.

peace,

russ

you're right, it's not fair to call him a prick on account of me not being able to buy parts from a guitar builder. you're right, he's not a parts supplier.

Of course, I do choose to stand by my remark in how he's rudely dismissed and dealt with me in regards to setups/ repeairs he's done on my other electric....but also, that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, the tuning keys were purchased from Wildberry Castle on Ebay, and the description of the product goes something like this....

"Set of Keystone style", 3 x 3, tuning keys in black finish. Includes mounting nuts, washers & set screws for the "ear" on each tuner. These fit standard size 3/8" inch tuner holes. *Good quality & machined well. Tuners come packaged new. *Questions always welcome & encouraged"

here's the R-E-A-L link.

and thank you for your post, thegarehanman, I do hope they make you a mod, sir.

Those look an aweful lot like schaller non locking tuners. The knob doesn't, but the actually metal housing looks just like a schaller. Can you take off the knob and take a picture of what the shaft looks like? Also, are there any stamped words or letters on the housing. I wouldn't be suprised if those were made by schaller for another company. That's actually fairly common in the retail world.

peace,

russ

Okay, here's a pic, I'm pretty sure you're right, the shaft and all matches my schaller style non locking on my old cheap-ish acoustic, and the screw in those (shorter silver one) actually fits the black tuning key, but it's a hair shorter, seems to do the trick though, so maybe a schaller button purchase is in order?

picture0ek.th.jpg

Probably metric. I mean come on , the place selling them is called 'Dancing Dragon', if that doesn't mean Asian import, I don't know what does.

I wouldn't expect a hardware store to have the right size, at least if you're in the USA.

On top of it all its a black screw. Sounds like a tall order even here in canada where we can get a lot of metric screws.

If you order a new set of knobs, you can get some nice ebony or mother of toilet seat ones. I don't know if all stores sell them with the screws, but I'm certain stewmac does. They'll most likely come with all chrome screws, but at least they'll all match. Have you tried to fit the schaller knob onto the off brand tuning machine? I would try that just to ensure they match up. I tried looking for a store that just sells the screws, but no luck. If you can figure out what size the screw is, you'd probably save yourself a few bucks just ordering a bag of machine screws.

You know, when I found the missing screw, which was misfiled into a smaller bag full of mounting screws for this and that, I totally forgot about my post..........so thank you to all, I appreciate the advice.

hey, maybe now i'll lose one on purpose, haha.

The screw was out.........because not only did curiosity kill the cat, it apparently leads blake to play with machine parts.

the horribly pathetic thing is i knew how a tuner worked. bah.

and i thought as i unscrewed it "blake, stop this, it serves no purpose....."