Untaped Coils..

Ghwar

:D So I bought this set of seymour duncan SSL-1 Vintage single coils for my brand new strat. i can't wait to slap em in and get playing, BUT..

the coils are untaped,so it's bare wire.. are you supposed to tape it, or just wire em up and play bare?

i tried wrapping with some electrical tape, but the tape was too big and wouldnt go on right

Are you sure they're bare? They could just have a semi-transparent wrap(although I've never seen that on pickups). Test is with a multi-meter to be certain. If they are bare, you could pick up some really small I.D. heat shrink tubing. That would do just the trick.

Where can I get that??

I dont have a meter either :D

Hmmm... if the ground wire is bare, it will have been stripped. Usually, the bare is wrapped around the hot inside insulation tubing. You could leave it, but it's bound to touch something inside the guitar. Tape it up, and it'll be fine. (better to tin the wire first so that the tape sticks to the wire rather than one strand of the wire).

Edited by Calum_Barrow

Hmmm... if the ground wire is bare, it will have been stripped. Usually, the bare is wrapped around the hot inside insulation tubing. You could leave it, but it's bound to touch something inside the guitar. Tape it up, and it'll be fine. (better to tin the wire first so that the tape sticks to the wire rather than one strand of the wire).

i cut some electrical tape to fit around it, but now the pickup covers are having a hard time getting on there

better safe then sorry..

also I puled some of the electrical tape back off to look under and a few of the wires were stuck to it, i msure that wont hurt it though

:D  So I bought this set of seymour duncan SSL-1 Vintage single coils for my brand new strat. i can't wait to slap em in and get playing, BUT..

the coils are untaped,so it's bare wire.. are you supposed to tape it, or just wire em up and play bare?

i tried wrapping with some electrical tape, but the tape was too big and wouldnt go on right

My SSL wasn't taped either. The coil wire is already insulated (the insulation is clear like a varnish) - otherwise the wraps would short out and the pickup wouldn't work. You don't need to tape it unless you're going to play it without a cover. The tape on a non-covered pickup is there just to protect the coil wires from damage. :D

also I puled some of the electrical tape back off to look under and a few of the wires were stuck to it, i msure that wont hurt it though

Probably stating the obvious here but if you decide to remove the tape BE VERY CAREFULL, if you brake any of those little wires that are stuck to it the PUP is B*****D. :D

They weren't already broken were thay?

Regards,

Matt.

I wind my own pickups, and I use http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...ckup_Tapes.html

to wrap single coils for protection.