Aniline Dye Experiments

araz

I finally completed my first project, well actually I went through three bodies and two necks but I'm finally done :D It's a mahogonay back, maple top with flamed maple veneer, maple neck, purple-heart fretboard and jabota headstock veneer.

I want to make the flamed maple veneer pop, you know, where the patterns on the wood have that 3D look. So I set up 9 flamed maple scraps to experiment on with different tecniques and colour combinations.

I purchased 3 water-based aniline dyes from LeeValley, Ebony black, light yellow and Honeytone Amber. I want a yellow-amber-orangy-like coloured top to contrast the purpleheart fingerboard. In retrospect, I should have bought some more colours for more possible combinations. Oh well...

I already sander the pieces of scrap from 220 to 400, raised the grain with a damp cloth and sanded again from 220 to 400. If you are doing this on a thin piece of veneer like I am, be careful not to sand through the veneer. In this case, the veneer is glued on MDF.

41IMG_8486.jpg

Here is what I plan to do on each piece:

1: yellow, sand back, yellow

2: amber, sand back, amber

3: black, sand back, yellow

4: black, sand back, amber

5: yellow, sand back, amber

6: amber, sand back, yellow

7: ??

8: ??

9: ??

The point of all this is to experiment and get some experience before actually applying any stain on the guitar. I'm also hoping to be helpful to others in the same situation and to also get advice from more experienced "stainers".

I will apply the stains probably tomorrow so there is still time if you want to make suggestions for 7, 8, and 9 or modify 1 - 6.

I will post pictures as I progress. Let's see how all this will turn out :D

Araz

I will be watching with great anticipation! I'm a newbie to these methods, so it will be great to watch the process.

I have read on this forum that it can be hard to get awesome deep result's with veneer, as opposed to say a carved 12mm thick top. I think it was Drak that gave up on a Quilted veneer top, anyway lookin forward to more pics!

Just applied the first coats. The yellow seems to pop the flame pattern more than the amber, e.g. compare 1 and 2. I will let them dry and then sand them back a bit.

I used bugman96's suggestions for #7 and #8 and black for the last one.

41IMG_8487.jpg

Araz

Here's what it looks like when the 1st coat has dried. The colours are not as intense anymore.

Then I sanded back on each one. At this point I kind of got the feeling that I didn't sand back enough on the black ones (3, 4 and 9) but I continued anyways...

The second coats (still wet) look like this based on 1(Y:Y), 2(A:A), 3(B:Y), 4(B:A), 5(Y:A), 6(A:Y), 7(A:B ), 8(Y:B ), 9(B:?)

41IMG_8490_2wetcoat.jpg

I'm starting to like 1 (Y:Y), 2(A:A), 5(Y:A) and 6(A:Y). The black colour is too dominating on 3(B:Y) and 4(B:A) but maybe I didn't sand back enough? Can anyone confirm this from the link above. Should I sand back until I see a lot more of the maple? :D

Also, applying black over a colour coat completely hides the underlying colour, i.e, 7(A:B ). Therefore I didn't do 8(Y:B ) because it would have looked just like 7.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Araz

Edited by araz

I have a friend that gets tops looking just a good as the 'stain black sand back' guys here get, though I believe he just uses a yellow/amber dye stain to highlight the grain.

Here's the guitar stained yellow, sand back, amber, sand back, yellow (or was it amber again). In the end, I used my judgement after each coat to apply the next coat.

I'm very happy with the result, especially that I only paid 12$ (cnd) for the veneer and in the end I didn't use any black. I can't wait to see it with the clear coats on... :D

41IMG_8500_stainedguitar.jpg

Araz

Any update on the progress? I really want to see it :D Or maybe try it myself; I would like to learn how to do the "burnt orange" burst. It seems to me that they either use black or really dark brown burst initially, then red burst after the black/brown is sanded, then sanded even lighter after the red is dry and use yellow overtop of that ( I really want to try this)

Late - Josh ^^ :D

Any update on the progress?  I really want to see it :D

Hey Josh,

No more progress to report, I'm done with the experiments. I already stained the guitar, see picture above. I gave up on the black because it required too much sanding back which is not possible/advisable to do it on a thin piece on veneer.

Or maybe try it myself; I would like to learn how to do the "burnt orange" burst.  It seems to me that they either use black or really dark brown burst initially, then red burst after the black/brown is sanded, then sanded even lighter after the red is dry and use yellow overtop of that ( I really want to try this)

Late - Josh ^^  :D

Check out this thread http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=12912

Take care,

Araz