Splitting A Humbucker

Sixstringfunk

Hello everybody, I'm brand new on this forum but I'm planning to stay here a while. :D

Anyway, I'm planning to rewire my Les Paul soon. I have a 4 conductor humbucker (Schaller Golden 50) at the neck and a two conductor at the bridge.

My plans are to not longer connect the tone pots, as I never use them, and use the volume pots for each humbucker. I also want to split the neck humbucker. To do so I bought a push/pull pot.

http://www.voxhumanawebstore.nl/webstore/p...roducts_id=1569

I did a search on a lot of sites but I can't find any information about this type of pot. I always find info about push/pulls with six connectors at the bottom and I have only two.

Can somebody explain me (or send me a link) how to connect the humbucker on this put?

Many thanks in advance.

Even easier solution for you would be to use one of the old tone controls. The 2 wires of the 4-conductor wire that are normally soldered together would be your coil splitter lead. Connect this to the center terminal on your old tone pot (with capacitor removed). The terminal normally grounded on a volume control should be grounded on this one as well. When you turn the knob to zero...single coil. Turn it back to 10...humbucker.

It don't get much easier than that.

@CraigJC: thanks for your reply but as mentioned before, I already bought the push/pull.

I also remember reading an article somewhere, that the less pots you use, the better the sound of your pickups will be. It sounds logical to me. Or is this a faulty statement? Anyway, I'm going to try it.

@lovekraft: thanks man! Just the info I needed. It can't get much easier I guess. :D

I know the problem's solved, but just to add to the tone knob idea:

I believe with the right choice of lugs, you can have it so that 10 - humbucker, 9 and below (ie. you don't have to go all the way down to zero!), single coil!

That's what I had on my guitar, SORT OF... I actually used the volume knob rather than the tone control, though. Volume at full: humbucker. Volume 9 and below: single coil.

Now, with LK's help, I have a kick-butt 5-way selector switch instead. :D

Greg

Hi guys, i'm in a similar situation as Sixstringfunk! I've been messin' with the soldering iron tonight and i'm not totally sure what i've done. I have a 4 conductor hum in the bridge and a 2 conductor hum in the neck. I took the capacitor on the tone pot off and wired the output of the 2 conductor hum to the centre lug and grounded the other wire. I was trying to set up the tone pot to be an independant volume for the neck hum but it's never fully off when i roll back. So the tone off the bridge is a bit thicker than normal. Regardless there are some decent tones as i play with the tone pot. I was trying to find a way to add some "stratiness" to this dual hum axe without using toggle switches or push pull pots. Any other thoughts or ideas. What exactly have i done with this wiring?

Edit: i want to stay hum cancelling so don't want to just split the bridge or something although it was great to learn how to split the coil with the tone pot from CraigJC

Edited by Sammyp

You'd probably need some tom-foolery with a push-pull pot or a superswitch, but using the PRS style of switching can give you some strat-like tones, or at least as close as you can get with that kind of guitar and keeping it hum-cancelling. :D

The two outer coils in parralel should do it.

You'd probably need some tom-foolery with a push-pull pot or a superswitch, but using the PRS style of switching can give you some strat-like tones, or at least as close as you can get with that kind of guitar and keeping it hum-cancelling.  :D

The two outer coils in parralel should do it.

Yeah i found a diagram last night for 2 hums which will yield - 1. Bridge hum, 2. Outer coils parallel 3. both hums 4. inner coils parallel 5. neck hum

I think i'll replace my 2 conductor hum with a 4 and try this wiring.