P90 Pickup Rings?

hello everyone, ive got a question....can u buy p90 pickup rings? and if u can, can someone please direct me to that site? thanks guys.

www.allparts.com

i guess i'm the only one that assumed that he was talking about the spacer/mounting ring..come on yahilltrade..save my rep here..tell 'em you were talking about the mounting ring. :D

I STILL don't know what you mean. <chuckle>

My soapbar P90s are spaced using springs. I've also seen them using rubber tubing before. Never rings, though. Dogear aren't spaced at all, they're just screwed right down.

:D

I STILL don't know what you mean.  <chuckle>

My soapbar P90s are spaced using springs.  I've also seen them using rubber tubing before.  Never rings, though.  Dogear aren't spaced at all, they're just screwed right down.

:D

scroll down about half way and you'll see what i'm talking about. it's a spacer ring for dog eared P90's.

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat...=PICKUP%20RINGS

Weird, their server isn't showing me the pic!

I can imagine, though, that it's a spacer so that you can raise the dogeared P90 if you need it to sit higher. That sound about right?

I think the spacers were used on some of Gibson's hollowbody or semi-hollowbody archtops. Makes sense, right?

exactly..they're about 5mm thick and look like an oversized single coil ring.

hmmnn..seems like we've completely hijacked this fellow's thread. :D

haha i was thinking about putting them on my Gretsch Pro Jet just for looks. it looks kinda janky with no rings ....i dont really like my guitar looking so...."naked" haha once here is the guitar i have and i want to put some black p90 rings on it..........http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G5238&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1.........so thats ...that.

I thought I replied again to this one...must have hit the wrong button...

Anyway, Gretsch calls the pickup a 'mini-humbucker- but it's more like a toaster than a Gibson-style mini, I think. I have a mini-humbucker here that 'floats' in its ring like a normal humbucker, it's just smaller.

The Electromatic pickup looks like it has a wide base and a smaller center section (the pickup part). I didn't look that closely at the one I saw at the store, so I can't promise this. Ordinarily this kind of pickup gets surface-mounted on archtops, I thought, because I agree, they look kind of naked sunk down into the guitar like that.

So you might have a hard time finding a ring to fit it. On the other hand, you should be able to prepare your own using pickguard material.

i bought the guitar with these pickups in it i just looked at them and it looks like they already have rings like molded on them ...its weird.

Nope, the pickups aren't weird-- they're also called 'toasters' (if you look at the rickenbacker version, they look like ... toasters).

What's weird is that Gretsch/Fender chose to sink them into the body like that--I'm guessing they picked up a great deal on these at the factory in China and 'designed' the guitar around them.

Personally, I'd replace them with proper mini-humbuckers --assuming the ring is wide enough and long enough to cover the cavity completely. Or at least replace the neck pickup--the bridge pickup doesn't look as bad. You could also widen the pockets to fit humbuckers too-- all depends on how long the cavities are.

the routed spaces legth wise are....9cm by 3 1/2 cm....so yah.. i dont really wanna re route the spaces. i think im going to re place both pickups with EMG mini buckers. and then just buy some of those mini rings. but for now i think im just going to leave it the way it is. but the neck pickup does kind of bother me its so...deeeeep. the pickup sits werid in it. but hey theres not to many guitar critics in the crowds here (Milwaukee, WI). And for the type of sound i want i guess ill save some cash and buy those mini buckers..thanks for your help guys.

-Actually even though it looks like a standard 'bucker ring, it's listed as a mini bucker mounting ring. Here's the description they have on their site. They have them in chrome and black.

"PURM-2 - Mini Humbucker Mounting Ring

Mini Humbucker, Metal Mounting Ring, Black

Price: $4.95"

L8R,

Matt D.

Edited by AnthemBassMan

Fair enough; however, the point remains-- the mini-humbucker ring pictured uses a normal mini-humbucker mounting system, not the retrofitted P-90-like system as pictured on that goldtop.

Don't be so hasty...you can't see the dimensions...I have a mini-humbucker bought from GFS a while back --he sent it with two rings, one chrome, the other black plastic --they're two different-sized rings (exterior dimensions), the black one is a little bigger, I'm guessing to hide a standard humbucker route. The chrome ring isn't large enough for that, but looks better. It's large enough to cover a single coil route.

Too bad I didn't buy a matching set of these (it's a "Memphis"), I only bought the bridge pickup. Has a nice jangly sound to it, I had it in my Melody Maker for a long while before replacing that with a stock pickup.