Regarding Tom Bridge And Staining

Hughes

Hi, just wanted to get your oppinion on what would look better for staining.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...00000000000.jpg

Also, I noticed alot of people put their Tune-O-Matic bridges on an angle like this http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/image..._body-front.jpg

would it matter if i made it perfectly straight as with the ferrules? or if i tilted it slightly, but not exactly like other people?

thanks

does that make sense what im trying to say?

Hughes, that's one of the quirks of the tuna-matic, you just have to live with it. Actually, it's the guitar's fault.  :D

As for your choice of stain....that's kind of subjective, eh? Have a look at Gretsch's two-tone guitars (the Jets), I like the way they do it.

Nah, it's the bridge design's 'fault'. They knew the guitar needed intonation compensation before the bridg was designed, after all.

Nah, it's the bridge design's 'fault'. They knew the guitar needed intonation compensation before the bridg was designed, after all.

True... Seems to me they could have designed a wider bridge that allows more freedom for adjusting the intonation? That way the bridge could be positioned straight.

Although personally, I kind of like the angle.

How about staining the top of the quilt and leaving the sides natural coloured....like a faux binding? 

Brian

Not only that but there's a GREAT tutorial HERE that will tell you all you need to know in order to accomplish it.

I prefer the wraparound's too, but didn't you say you were running the strings through the body? Are they compatible?

i think ill just find a Black wrap around

Some of those have to be angled too...

How about staining the top of the quilt and leaving the sides natural coloured....like a faux binding? 

Brian

Not only that but there's a GREAT tutorial HERE that will tell you all you need to know in order to accomplish it.

I prefer the wraparound's too, but didn't you say you were running the strings through the body? Are they compatible?

i would only put the strings through the body if i had a tune o matic.

with the wraparound bridges, you can turn a screw at the end of the two posts which will make it on an angle (judging from from my mockingbird)

that method looks pretty awesome, but im not sure if it would suit what im after :D