Strange Answer To A Problem

I played on my guitar as usual. Suddenly, I realised it was a crack by the slot where the bridge sits in. Okay, the bridge is still on, so it's no problem. But one day, that crack got really open, and it snapped. So i glued it back on with some CA glue. And the sound was bad. But then I thougt to put in the plastic strips under the bridge (I got them with the guitar) and the strings got raised a bit, and then of a sudden, the guitar sounded better than ever. Any explanation?

I played on my guitar as usual. Suddenly, I realised it was a crack by the slot where the bridge sits in. Okay, the bridge is still on, so it's no problem. But one day, that crack got really open, and it snapped. So i glued it back on with some CA glue. And the sound was bad. But then I thougt to put in the plastic strips under the bridge (I got them with the guitar) and the strings got raised a bit, and then of a sudden, the guitar sounded  better than ever. Any explanation?

Ok, so what material is the saddle? (I think your confusing the bridge with the saddle) What are the plastic strips, a lazymans form of action raising? :D

What do you mean by sounds better, describe the sound, it may just have been louder because of the raised action...

Give us some more info before we try to make some conclusions.. :D

Okay, I made a mistake there :D

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. I don't have to know it.

BTW The guitar is a acoustic Fender, the >saddle< is plastic, and maybe you're right louder, but also clearer and less "buzz" in the sound.

BTW The guitar is a acoustic Fender, the >saddle< is plastic, and maybe you're right louder, but also clearer and less "buzz" in the sound.

What was the string angle like over the saddle before you added the plastic strips underneath?

It may have been that the angle was way to shallow so the string didn't "act" upon the saddle enough to transmit a clear sound, it would also explain a strange buzz, which is diiferent to the sound of fret buzz.

I dunno, I havent had it happen to me, but thats my $2. :D

What was the string angle like over the saddle before you added the plastic strips underneath?

It may have been that the angle was way to shallow so the string didn't "act" upon the saddle enough to transmit a clear sound, it would also explain a strange buzz, which is diiferent to the sound of fret buzz.

I dunno, I havent had it happen to me, but thats my $2. :D

I agree.

Low actions on acoustics are not the way to get the best tone. You have raised the action which has increased the downward force on the bridge which is consequently forcing the top to vibrate more. You have probably also lessened the chance of fretbuzz because the strings are further from them so they are ringing clearer and you can probably play harder before the buzz kicks in.