What Kind Of Wood Is This?

You should have been able to tell that by looking in the cavities? Hard to believe they went through the effort to finish those.

Eh?

It takes more effort not to finish cavities than it does to finish cavities.

No, I mean to finish them well enough to hide the laminations of the plywood --I've had three plywood bodies (don't ask) and with each one, as soon as I took off the pickguard, the plywood was easy to see. But you never know, maybe his guitar was finished so that the laminate layers were completely hidden.

No, I mean to finish them well enough to hide the laminations of the plywood --I've had three plywood bodies (don't ask) and with each one, as soon as I took off the pickguard, the plywood was easy to see. But you never know, maybe his guitar was finished so that the laminate layers were completely hidden.

I could tell my plywood fantastic strat (first guitar) was made of laminated bits of wood (ie, you could see the glue palne along the thickness of the body), but looking at the (solid colour) finished pickup cavities...nope. Couldn't tell at all.

If its a Squier, chances are it's plywood.

If you count the layers of plywood, you'll be able to tell how old the guitar is.    :D

funny!

Well, at least I know what I'm up against for sure now. It's just a pawn-shop axe that's been through many paint jobs and many clubs. I'm attempting to replicate the frankenstrat finish with this one :D

Well, unless you're playing the Whiskey and cutting tracks on Clive's nickel, does it really matter? I mean, the original Frankenstrat wasn't exactly God's gift to craftsmanship and fine luthiery, was it?

Funny how a guitar made with the crappiest bunch of cobbled-together parts has spawned a quest for tone that will never be attained by any other. I mean, the only part of that guitar that had a shred of quality was the Floyd, and even that wasn't installed properly.

ive just opened up my sunburst squire strat (cheap ebayed thing) and mine is the same but a whole lot messier the inside rout seems universal too which is worrying since im sure that isnt standard, also i can see theres only a thin piece of wood between trem springs/pickup cavity...

whatever the hell the glue they used on it i dont know its orange/brown and really hard (epoxy ?).

apart from the that the feel/sound of the guitar is good i just cant believe they would make guitars of such crap materials.

i picked up a squire tele(ebay again) and this one has a solid body (its a standard series or somthing), i can only imagine the plywood squashing factory and how it must stink of glue/plywood dust

In regards to the tone, the guitar actually sounded decent. I probably slapped in ten different bridge pickups and I can't remember what the 'original' tone was LOL

This is certainly one axe I'm not worried about as far as base-tone. I'm relying on DiMarzios for this one :D

Isn't it amazing the range of material used in guitars? From cheap wood to rare wood, from cheap plastic to fiberglass to expoxy. That's why I love this instrument SO much!! How many violin's have been make out of plywood or fiberglass and been just as populour as the player? :D

I think it means that you should just enjoy playing what you have. I have a nice Gibson LP, but I still love to play my five-piece poplar body mexican Strat. Sure, I've added locking tuners and EMGs to the basic guitar, but it's a better player because of it. I'll take it anywhere I don't want to worry about my LP getting jacked up and it suits me just fine for most gigging.

I'm sure Ed would be proud of your Frankie tribute, especially considering it'll probably be better than anything he cobbled together back in the day. I laugh every time I see one of those repros up on eBay for $1000 because they have hand-burned cigarette burns. They're not even in the SPIRIT of the original.