Which Pickup Setup Out Of These Two?

dawnofzion

Is a 15k output rails pickup too hot for the neck position?

I was thinking about getting a 15k in the neck and a 10k in the middle? would this be waay to hot?

my other option is to get a 10k in the neck and a 6k in the middle..

which one of these setups would be the best?

Why have the neck so hot compared to the middle? The neck is naturally the hottest location anyhow, so with 2 pickups of the same output, the neck will still end up dominating. Is your middle position meant to be that quiet for a particular reason?

Greg

To each their own. :D I like medium-output all across the board. 15K isn't the hottest you can get, but it's a lot hotter than my personal taste.

The thing about the proposed versatility is that there will be no balance in levels. If you're driving everything anyhow, the natural compression of the tube gain stages will likely even everything out. But in lower-gain settings, the differences are going to be fairly noticeable.

Greg

well my bridge humbucker is a 16.6k output Pup. so i figured the 15k in the bridge would match that better. i didnt' want to switch to the neck or middle and it be a lot more quiet than the bridge. I thought the 10k and 6k would be ALOT quieter than the 16.6k humbucker.

what do you think I should do for the neck and middle?

If you already have the 16k bridge, then 15k neck and middle won't be TOO out of line.

Remember, resistance isn't the only measure of output anyhow. Just a good one for ballpark estimates.

Given the existing bridge, I'd stick to the 15 + 15, but that's just me.

Come to think of it, though... I might go 10 + 10 instead. That way the 'clean' sounds that I tend to use my neck and middle pickups for would be even cleaner, and then when I flick to the 'bucker, I get the gain kick at the same time as the treble bite.

Greg

Yeah, your single-coil sized blade pickups aren't going to have as much output as your full-size bridge humbucker, but that's beside the point. What you should be looking at is the resonant peak of each pickup. The neck position is going to be naturally warmer and most pickup manufacturers build their neck-position models to have a higher resonant peak to emphasize the higher frequencies. The opposite is true of bridge-models. If you put a pickup in the neck that's intended for the bridge, you're going to have a lot of muddiness and low-end that may not be desirable.

I suppose it depends on the sound you like, but.. in my opinion the hotter your pups are the farther from the bridge you want to put them. However, its really a personal preference. What I like might suck to your ears. At that price, though, you may be able to experiment a little.

Sorry I can't help, I'm constantly in search of pups myself!

Nate Robinson :D

I suppose it depends on the sound you like, but.. in my opinion the hotter your pups are the farther from the bridge you want to put them. However, its really a personal preference. What I like might suck to your ears. At that price, though, you may be able to experiment a little.

That really doesn't make any sense. Why on Earth would you put high-powered pickups in the neck and weak ones in the bridge? The bridge pickup is already having to work harder to sense a weaker signal and the neck is going to be full of mud.

I'd personally pick the 6.5K for the neck and 10K for the mid just because that's what it looks like they recommend in the calibrated sets. I've heard GFS pickups are a little more sterile than Duncans and Bardens, but they may work for you.