Paint Booth

Im having trouble grasping the concept of how in the world that will give you enough space to spray a guitar body in. I dont know about you guys, but id need a lot more room than that to get every angle onto a guitar wihtout banging it against the walls of that thing. Just my 2 cents

id probably do what my dad did and tape plastic in a corner of the garage and put a small heater in it....works for car parts...but right now id use my schools paint booths.

mind you, my house has 4 garages + a giant shop so im taking over one of the storage garges and am investing in some tools

Edited by Hughes

Thats not what he said, he said he was gonna put a heater IN the area he taped off. Thats how I read it. Either way, I wouldnt want a heater anywhere near where I was spraying.

the bloody thing isnt even as big as a icecream container...and no, it goes in AFTER the spraying so the paint cures faster

I don't see any point in rushing things...unless you're working on commission.

So far I've jerryrigged paint 'booths' --they're more like paint tents, using a beater A-frame ladder and plastic dropcloths. Keeps the dust out, it's non-permanent and doesn't take up much room. I hang the guitar using a piece of light wire --spins more easily than a wire hanger.

I put on my respirator (with the proper filters) open the flap of plastic, spray, then leave the area. Repeat that a few times.

Of course, I'm using a drafty garage/barn that is only used to store all the crap we seem to accumulate. And it's not too cold here, so that's not a problem (In fact, it seems to me that spraying works better when it's a little cold than when it's too hot, like last summer?)

Anyway, this time around since the guitar is a set neck, the ladder won't be tall enough so I'm going to build a large booth using 2x4s and, yep, more plastic. I've got plenty of both here.

Oh yeah, after I spray, I let it sit for a few days so that most of the smell goes away, then move it indoors to an unheated vented closet in the attic where it won't bother anyone else.

So far that's worked out pretty well. Still takes a good 4-6 weeks to cure though. I consider that part of the game.

I have no room for a permanent spray boot in my shop. Its too small.

I use a "spray booth" made from an old kitchen cupboard. I fold it out for use. It wont keep dust out, but it minimise the dust from dry "overshoot" paint in the rest of the room. And if folds up/away in no time, to minimise set up time. I have had no problem with dust getting into the finish, as I clean out the shop before spraying.

At least it forces me to clean out the shop from time to time :D

At least it forces me to clean out the shop from time to time :D

Don't know what you're smiling about...it's going to take me at least two days to clean up the mess I made building my guitar :D

LOL