P-90 & Humbucker Pickup Anatomy Questions

Mattia

Right, I've got a question for those of you who wind your own pickups. I've got most of the parts I need (I thought all of them, but I'll get to that) for making P-90s and Humbuckers, but I'm left with a few questions, particularly regarding the spacers/keeper bars.

Let's start with the humbucker: if I understand it correctly, the keeper bar simply 'sits' there, screws go through the holes, but aren't threaded into them/don't tap into them (the polepiece screws I have certainly don't come anywhere near threading). They're metal to help conduct the field to the 'adjustable' poliece screws, and the screws only thread through the bobbin itself. Correct?

Now, the P-90's got me a little stumped. As I understand it, it goes: Bobbon, baseplate, spacer, with two magnets, polarities facing each other, applied to the bottom. Or is it bobbin, spacer, baseplate? I'm not entirely sure if the magnets are just supposed to be held on by adhering to the baseplate (with the two S or two N poles facing each other, repelling? Does that work?), or something else. Also, the diagram on the Lollar website for a P90 doesn't show any spacer at all. Is one necessary? Does it have to be metal? What gives?

Either way, I've got enough spacers for the humbucker sets/bobbins, but I have none for the P-90s. So I can either make those out of plastic, or wood, or I'll have to order 'em from StewMac or something.

Anyone care to help me out here? I'm a touch confused. I'll probably start with the Tele pickups, since they seem pretty straightforward to me...

Edited by mattia

Also, the diagram on the Lollar website for a P90 doesn't show any spacer at all. Is one necessary? Does it have to be metal? What gives?

Either way, I've got enough spacers for the humbucker sets/bobbins, but I have none for the P-90s. So I can either make those out of plastic, or wood, or I'll have to order 'em from StewMac or something.

Here's a piece of information about the P90 bobbin design. Hope it helps!

Link