Art Silver Clay?

RGGR

Anyone heard of this stuff???

ART Clay Silver

Art Clay Silver is a pure metal powder mixed with non-toxic binders and water. When kiln, torch or stove fired, the binders burn away, leaving pure, 99.9% silver. Art Clay Silver can be added to a variety of media: glass, ceramics, porcelain and polymer clay to name a few. It can be rolled, sculpted, stamped, sanded, filed, engraved, drilled and pre-polished, all prior to firing.

Bumped into this when lady friend of mine showed me some juwelery made out the stuff....To me it looked like a perfect inlay alternative. (although it seems to shrink 8-12% when dryed in kiln or gas torch.....

But for complicated Vine inlay, you could first make the leaves and later cut the cavity, after leaves are dried in kiln......to make sure they fit snugg....

Any ideas on this???

Edited by RGGR

Well, PMC would probably be better suited for inlay than jewelry, it tends to be rather porous and brittle when fired. If you have a kiln it might not be too bad to work with but I think it would be better and easier to just cut sheet metal. I looked into the stuff years back and decided that the down sides outweighed the up. If I remember the stuff doesn't take a polish well due to the porosity.

If the goal is to get silver inlay, use silver for the inlay. There's no bending, or hammering. Just order sheet silver at .06 thickness from a jewelry supply house, such as rio grande, or another, and lay out your pattern as normal for any inlay, cut it out, and inlay it.

Why does working with metals seem to sway a lot of people on this forum into trying something "easier", that is really just more of a pain it would seem?

I am definitley not attacking anyone for trying someting new. Many of the new polymer clays are being used in inlay, but only on the headstock it seems. They wind up too soft for the fretboard.

Silver, gold, and other metals inlay is a done deal, use silver. It's been done before with absolute 100% success. It's relatively cheap, and it's metal. It won't do anything over time except tarnish a little, easily taken off with a micro-mesh polish.

Craig Lavin