Gretsch Duo Jet

I'd be leery of this particular auction. Especially since the seller has zero feedback. Now, we all have to start somewhere, but I dunno... shipping from where? To where? I'd steer clear, but that's just me. Especially since the person goes on about "if you have zero or negative feedback, e-mail me first"...

Hrm? That's the pot calling the kettle black.

HAha the listing is taken out....so shortly? The aution just ended recently.. maybe the admin guys found out.

But overall the gretsch duo jet is a killer. If i could afford then the gretsch would be on my top 10. I heard the pro jet electomatic is gd and is cheap ass too. DOes anyone really know what its like? Cos they dont have them in HK. Just it a bad reputation. I mean but, the bigsby alone can set you up for a mere 100. so what would a guitar with mahog neck+body, gretsch filterons, and jet inlays, carve top have such a gd value?

I had a Junior Jet II for a while (it was a Synchromatic, basically the same as the Electromatics, except mine was made in Korea).

There's a reason why they cost 1/10 the price of a real Gretsch...start saving your money for the real thing, I say. For the price of an Electromatic you can build a far better guitar.

That's what I'm going to do...and maybe one day if I'm a good boy the wife will let me spring for a Duo Jet...

What I dont understand is how Gibson sued PRS for the single cut... and not gretsch for the duo jet... or did they?

Maybe Gibson wasn't into suing people back when it came out, and they didn't do it quickly enough to defend their trademark/copyright?

If you look at them more closely, the body shapes aren't exactly the same.

lpduojetcomparison.jpg

I prefer the Duo Jet shape --it's trimmer, sleeker, sexier...makes the Les Paul look like a dumpy schoolgirl with a fat butt.

For the rest of it though, Gibson probably didn't think of suing because a) life wasn't so litigious in those days, and b ) the Les Paul shape itself was based on a traditional guitar shape.

For that reason, Gretsch, which made similarly shaped hollow-bodies, had the same rights to build its own solidbody based on that traditional body design.

I didn't follow the Gibson/PRS thing, but it would make more sense if Gibson sued for its double-cutaway design, which was more original.

yeah... you have to look at it closely, i just find it comical that they sued PRS... compare the PRS single cut to the les paul, then compare the Duo Jet to the les paul... the duo jet in my opinion has many more similar qualities than the single cut does. I know they are all completely different guitars probably once you get them in your hands, but i just find it comical on gibson's part.