Pickuping :)

NinjaTaiken

I'm interested in building my own pickups.

First, I wanna build a single coil to see how I manage the entire thing, then move on to building another one and a humbucker.

Now I need help with humbucker building theory. I'm not quite sure what needs to be done.

Okay, first I connect my coil wire to my start wire for coil 1, wind about 4500 rounds then solder the finish wire to the other side (D'uh). Then I do the exact same procedore on coil 2, and connect the two finish wires. Then I put the slugs in my slug coil and screw the screws into the other coil. From now on I'm kinda stuck, I figure from what I read so far, I have two wires in my braided hookup wire - one to ground and one to the pot/pickup selector/whatever. I have to connect the slug coil wire to the latter, not the ground, right? and the adjustable coil goes to ground.

Then I place my parts on the base plate, the spacer and magnet.

Attach the adjustable coil, not all the way through, screw in the slug coil a little and tuck the plastic spacer under it.

I need a little more elaboration on this, and especially some correction.

I've seen Jon Tirone's guide already, but it doesnt explain much about the assembly process. Nonetheless, his site has the most detailed guides I've seen yet.

The guide over at stewmac is kinda lacking if you ask me. I was very dissappointed from the lack of detail compared to their single coil guide.

This could be a pretty profitable business according to what I'm seeing at ampage...

100 dollars for pickups I make for 60 bucks.

Plus theres currently 2 or 3 people who make and sell pickups in Israel (:

I've seen Jon Tirone's guide already, but it doesnt explain much about the assembly process. Nonetheless, his site has the most detailed guides I've seen yet.

The guide over at stewmac is kinda lacking if you ask me. I was very dissappointed from the lack of detail compared to their single coil guide.

This could be a pretty profitable business according to what I'm seeing at ampage...

60? Including labour cost, maybe, but the parts for a humbucker are a touch cheaper.

The StewMac guide is detailed enough, and careful reading+the diagram runs you through the assembly process quite clearly. Fact is, Fender-style singel coil pickups are much simpler beasts (two bits of flatwork, magnets as polepieces, wind, done).

60? Including labour cost, maybe, but the parts for a humbucker are a touch cheaper.

The StewMac guide is detailed enough, and careful reading+the diagram runs you through the assembly process quite clearly. Fact is, Fender-style singel coil pickups are much simpler beasts (two bits of flatwork, magnets as polepieces, wind, done).

Yeah, thats why I plan to make a single coil strat pickup first to get a little more familierized with the winding proccess.

It costs me about 55$ total to build a pickup, then I could build 4 more for 10 dollars each. So, I could make 5 pickups for 95 dollars. Man, this is pretty nice if I ever decide to sell some of the pickups I'll make... Not much of a demand I figure... Then again, Lace Sensor Red costs 150$ around here!