Another Mod Suggestion - Would It Work?

hessodreamy

I've come up with a mod for a 3 singles strat, to add options for putting middle in series with either neck or bridge. Also added an 'always on' switch for the bridge.

It looks ok to me, unless I'm missing something, which I frequently do. In isolation I think they'll do their job, but how about together?

2 More questions:

1. You think it'll sound any good?

2. Have I done it a stupidly complcated way? Do i really need to use a 3 pole switch?

the idea for the 3 way switch is thus:

Position 1 - stock strat tones

Position 2 - middle pickup in series with neck

Position 3 - middle pickup in series with bridge

obviously neck/bridge would need to be selected on the 5 way to get anything out of the series combo. I think position 3 on the 5 way would give silence (or possibly really bad hum- i'm not sure)

So, before I go buy lots of bits (not even sure i can get the 3 way, unless I go with a rotary switch) and write off my weekend, anyone have any thoughts?

circuit2.gif

OK Maybe I have been making things hard for myself.

I'm thinking now I'l try a simple rotary switch. I figure if I use a 2pole, 6 position switch I can get this:

1. stock

2. bridge always on

3. bridge in series with middle

4. bridge always on & in series with middle

5. bridge in series with neck

6. bridge always on & in series with neck

by wiring it up as such

pole A being the bridge cold wire, pole B being the bridge hot

1. A->ground, B->bridge lug on selector

2. A->ground, B->output of selector

3. A->middle lug on selector, B->bridge lug on selector

4. A->middle lug on selector, B->output of selctor

5. A->neck lug on selector, B->bridge lug on selector

6. A->neck lug on selector, B->output of selctor

Will this do the trick? I think it will but am unsure about what happens what, say, the middle pickup is selected while the cold of the bridge is routed to it. WHat do I get? just the middle? middle & bridge in series? hum?

Here's another lame diagram!!!:

circuit3.gif

I can probably attribute the resolute lack of response to this question to at least 1 of 2 things:

1. A badly asked question

2. A lack of personal hygiene

Anybody like to point out where i'm going wrong? Is my question not clear? Not enough info? too much info? Rubbish lamo paintshop circuit diagrams? Or should i just change my deodorant?

Constructive criticism gratefully received :D

the brian may wiring is similar too that but a little bit easier

gonna put this in my strat when i get the time

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/9459/br...gmodified25.gif

the series/parrallel switch could be a push pull pot which would only leave 6 dpdt switches for on/off, in phase/out of phase

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

yeah but no but, just the number of switches in play made it hard for me to keep track of where things were being routed (having a bit of a thick day, OK?)

So if I route the cold of the bridge to the hot of the middle, they're in series, right? and if i then select the middle pickup, what do i hear? I'm not sure the effect the bridge being wired up with have.

How about selecting the bridge & middle? Will that give me middle in parallel with bridge & middle in series?

I guess there's an easy way to find out - give it a go!!!

Anybody like to point out where i'm going wrong?

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but frankly, these over-complicated "do-it-all" switching configurations aren't worth the trouble. The Red Special scheme should address everything you want, and it's hardly worth the not inconsiderable effort to redesign it to use a 5way and some outboard switching without a compelling reason.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. just tried wiring it up. Didn't work.

Circuit bit complicated for me to figure where it went wrong.

I wouldn't be told, would I?

Don't know.

I seem to be having trouble understanding what it is you want to accomplish. Consider these entries from your earlier post:

I don't understand the difference between 3 & 4... or 5 & 6.

I seem to be having trouble understanding what it is you want to accomplish. Consider these entries from your earlier post:

I don't understand the difference between 3 & 4... or 5 & 6.

What I meant to say was:

3. bridge & middle in series

4. bridge & middle in series & always on regardless of where the pickup selector is. ie the combination routed to the output rather than the pickup selector. Basically so you can have M&B in series and in parallel with the neck.

Likewise with 5&6.

But I've kind of given up on this path now. I think it is kind of complicated, especially where things go wrong. Though I think the problem i was having is that my neck pickup has actually broken!!

I was loathe to drill holes in the scratchplate for more switches. But I think now that's the way to go. Once I get a new neck pickup!