Custom Tele Wiring

Samba Pa Ti

i was wondering (hoping) if i could custom wire my tele with a lace sensor dually in the neck and a sc in bridge the dually has 2 hot wires so i then thought about wiring the hots to 2 lugs on a 5 way switch (to use em as single coils/humbucker).

that will proberbly be pretty easy but i then wondered if theres a way to make a push/pull pot do series/parrallel whilst controlling the volume or tone ?

anyway i have no clue howto wire the 5 way switch or the push/pull pot, since strat wiring is different to the tele, im stuck :S

i added the dually to this pic below but i dont know where to put the second hot wire

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7826/tele2ct.jpg

ANY HELP APPRECIATED :D

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

If I'm not mistaken the wire in question should be wired to ground, as normal.

The One you need to re-route is the link between the 2 coils (ie the join between the orange/black & white.

If You're using a push-pull, then you connect both these wires to 1 node, and switch between connecting it to ground (for single coil), and not connecting to anything (double coil)

Remember that the 2 coils of a humbucker are reverse wired AND reverse-would. This cancels the hum. If you simply wired 2 pickups in series you'd get the double coil sound but they would (i believe) be hum ADDING.

Of course, I'm open to contradiction on this...

i meant with a 5 way switch like strat wiring or using the middle posistion on a tele, either way the push pull idea is another mod which i dont wish to do at the moment,

but i would like to know if i wire the 5 way switch up, the same as a 3way (since the tele wiring is all crazy compared to strats) and if i use the 3 end lugs for hot wires ? i have no clue where to add the other lugs.

If one of the coils is reverse-wound, it will still cancel hum whether in series or in parralel. Just make sure you use the right coil from the "split".

As for wiring, you can always just think of it as 3 single-coils and proceed accordingly with whatever 3-SC wiring you want. :D

Greg

im really confused now

forget the push/pull pot idea, il add that later

if i wired a lace dually up as 2 pickups for neck and then a single coil in bridge on a 5way switch, would this wire up the same as a nashville tele ? (i have a diagram for this)

then if i select the neck/middle pickups togther it would work as a humbucker(standard) as both hot wires are mixed ?

edit atm the guitar has a humbucker in neck/single in bridge

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

Here's my thread on a tele with an HB + SC. My HB is in the bridge, but the options will ultimately still be very similar:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...19913&hl=wiring

To answer your question, though-- yes, this is how it could/should work, with a 5-way switch. Mine needed the superswitch in order to get the serial vs. parallel trickery going on, but you should be able to with a regular 5 way switch get:

1. Neck pickup, 1 coil only

2. Neck pickup, the other coil only

3. Neck pickup, as a humbucker

4. 1 coil of the neck, plus the bridge = humbucking (you'll have to figure out which coil to use, though, to make it buck the hum)

5. The bridge single-coil.

With different electronics (ie. a superswitch or whatever) you have more options for serial/parallel, plus you can have "all 3 coils at once" as an option instead of the other neck coil alone, the two of which will sound pretty similar and therefore redundant as I've described above.

Greg

rgr that and thanks for the help guys :D

im thinking the setup of a 5way with a dually would go

1. Neck pickup, 1 coil only

2. Neck pickup, as a humbucker

3. Neck pickup, ("middle pickup") 1 coil

4. Middle pickup mixed with bridge, another humbucker

5. The bridge single-coil.

Edited by Samba Pa Ti