I Messed Up

Alright...I messed up but I think it can be saved. When I glued the boards together for my blank they were offset and I didn't catch it until after the glue dried (I'm an idiot).

oooops.jpg

I tried leveling it out a little with a random orbital sander (probably not the greatest idea)...made some difference but it's still off.

What are my options? Take it to a cabinet maker and have them level it? Or hand sand and check it a lot with a straight edge? Any others?

i have done this before, ok, what u need to do is get a strip of wood the same thickness as the gap, then glue it as close to the outside edge of your body blank, yep, done all that?, then go and buy a six pack of beer, and take your body blank and the beer to the nearest cabinetmaker and ask if they could thickness plane/sand this for you.

there you have it... thicknessing wood to hide screw ups the lazy mans way.

i have done this before, ok, what u need to do is get a strip of wood the same thickness as the gap, then glue it as close to the outside edge of your body blank, yep, done all that?, then go and buy a six pack of beer, and take your body blank and the beer to the nearest cabinetmaker and ask if they could thickness plane/sand this for you. 

Yeah, but there's no real definable gap now because I tried leveling it and now it's just almost level....

Yeah, but there's no real definable gap now because I tried leveling it and now it's just almost level....

It sounds like you are pretty close. You could try to finish the job with a long block(sanding) or Plane it. You may have a bit of trouble getting both sides flat and even in terms of thickness (if you have used a ROS). It is about a 1 min. job with a thickness sander. I would recommend taking it to a cabnet makers shop. They will probably do the job for next to nothing and it will be even thickness and flat.

Peace,Rich