Hitone Classic's "inlay"

verhoevenc

Hey, if ya'll go look at the 3rd GOTM entry, the hitone classic's build pics, etc. you see him have an inlay pattern that he cuts out, etc.... and then leaves? I'm a little confused with this... did he just leave the paper there and clear over it and that's his inlay, or was he masking that, then painting and just leaving that area unpainted to LOOK like an inlay? I think it's the latter, but that got me to thinking, on a masking job that intricate... wouldn't the paint bleed under the masking? When I masked some f-holes by lying masking tape across the top cause I wanted to paint the inside sides of the f-hole, i sprayed from behind, but black still bled through to the top (which I had to sand off...). So wouldn't this bleed too? Or was I just doing something wrong?

Also, where does everyone get the thin blue tape? All I can find is normal blue masking painter's tape... and with it you can't take ANY curves or corners, etc. so it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do faux binding with, you'd end up with block-ish and un-even binding

Yeah, I'm trying to get Hitone to fess up about this too...

What I think he's doing though is he lays down the masking tape, places his overlay design over that, then cuts the design out in the masking tape --when he pulls the masking tape away, the design part of the tape stays on the guitar. Then he sprays the color.

If I'm right about that, then the question I have about that is --how does he avoid cutting into the wood? Or does that help give the sharp edges to the design?

What I think he's doing though is he lays down the masking tape, places his overlay design over that, then cuts the design out in the masking tape --when he pulls the masking tape away, the design part of the tape stays on the guitar. Then he sprays the color.

If I'm right about that, then the question I have about that is --how does he avoid cutting into the wood? Or does that help give the sharp edges to the design?

Idch, your right.

To Verhoevenc's question about the bleed. I shot some clear over the mask before I shot the color. Once the color is on, I took an exacto knife and went around the mask. This prevents pulling the paint up. It's a pretty simple technique.

Ideally I wanted to get the design cut out of vinyl and avoid hand cutting it.

Here's the image gallery.

DSC00943.jpg