My First Project

js2k

Hi all. I have been reading about doing a project guitar for over a year and I am finally starting one. I ordered a Saga HT-10 (prs copy) off ebay.

I took it out of the box and checked everything and did a quick check of the neck fit. It was snug, and when I was working it back out (easily of course :D ), I chipped a very small spot of the "sealer" that comes on the body right by the top edge/corner of the neck pocket(it looks like was dipped in plastic, thick stuff)

My question is (one of many I'm sure)- how can I repair that small chip? (1/16" or so triangle) I was thing filling in with DEFT, but I don't know. I'm still not sure if I will just clear coat the front or spray with a tinted clear, like amber etc.

Thanks in advance

Hi all. I have been reading about doing a project guitar for over a year and I am finally starting one. I ordered a Saga HT-10 (prs copy) off ebay.

I took it out of the box and checked everything and did a quick check of the neck fit. It was snug, and when I was working it back out (easily of course  :D ), I chipped a very small spot of the "sealer" that comes on the body right by the top edge/corner of the neck pocket(it looks like was dipped in plastic, thick stuff)

My question is (one of many I'm sure)- how can I repair that small chip? (1/16" or so triangle) I was thing filling in with DEFT, but I don't know. I'm still not sure if I will just clear coat the front or spray with a tinted clear, like amber etc.

Thanks in advance

Try browsing here: http://www.guitarattack.com/mattocaster/sagakit.htm

These guys have done a couple of Saga kits and IIRC they strip all the original sealer off and re-prime.

I did a Saga Tele and stripped the sealer from the fretboard but painted over the body as shipped. Both turned out OK.

The whole project went well. I upgraded the tuners.

It's a ggod place to start and the guitar actually sounds OK!! :D

RobSm

I took it out of the box and checked everything and did a quick check of the neck fit. It was snug, and when I was working it back out (easily of course  :D ), I chipped a very small spot of the "sealer" that comes on the body right by the top edge/corner of the neck pocket(it looks like was dipped in plastic, thick stuff)

Thanks in advance

Try browsing here: http://www.guitarattack.com/mattocaster/sagakit.htm

These guys have done a couple of Saga kits and IIRC they strip all the original sealer off and re-prime.

I did a Saga Tele and stripped the sealer from the fretboard but painted over the body as shipped. Both turned out OK.

The whole project went well. I upgraded the tuners.

It's a ggod place to start and the guitar actually sounds OK!! :D

RobSm

I'll give the CA a try. Can you get it at home depot/lowes?

I've thought about sanding the sealer off and staining the maple top, but I'm concerned about sanding through the top. I might try that on the next one.

Thanks again