Blue On Black? Or Not?

tasty

Hello all! I am a brand new member and this is my first post. I have been reading Project Guitar non-stop the last week and it has inspired me to not only repair/upgrade the axes I own currently, but to build a project axe too! Especially inspiring was GF's photo tutorial of how to build a strat from scratch and also Mika Guitar's how to burst.

Anywho. I figure I will build a warmoth project 'v' for my first homebuilt deal and I really want it to have a maple figured top (laminate i guess). I want it to be blue and probably a quilted design. I was wondering because there seems to be a debate on if one should dye the top black, then sand back and then dye...or just to dye then over shoot with some black around the edges. I would love to see this flying V in a blue sort of burst with brighter blue in the middle and going to a black on the outside. I will probably paint the back black as well as the headstock (therefore no natural binding necessacary). I have yet to see a quilt-top blue flying V so this should be hopefully a rare thing. I have planned to have a JB/Jazz configuration with 2tone/2vol and all chrome hardware/sperzels.

1> should I dye it black first then (carefully) sand back then dye blue?

2> does dye work through sanding sealer?

3> what type of sealer do you reccomend?

I'm leaning towards dying black first because the back will be black, and it will make for a nicer fade burst to the edges...maybe i will need 2 types of blue for that added cool-factor.

Thanks for all your help and inspiration (it seems a lot of other guys besides myself have guitar on the brain 24/7)..why buy some shelf garbage when you can build your own custom masterpiece!? :D

1>  should I dye it black first then (carefully) sand back then dye blue?

2>  does dye work through sanding sealer?

3>  what type of sealer do you reccomend?

1> That's what I did

2> Nope.

3> I didn't use any. I just sanded with 600 grit, then I did a couple of quick bursts of clear and primered. I'm sure that using a sealer would be better in most cases but for me it worked.

Elvira3.jpg

Close Up

Edited by BeerHunter

Beerhunter,

That looks awesome! You were using a veneer right? So just take it easy on the ol' sanding after you dye it black huh? I can't wait to get a nice blue like you got there. Where did you get your dye? and what type is it? I think most people are telling me to forget the sanding sealer.

1. Pore fill (with what?)

2. Dye black, Sand back

3. Apply blue dyes

4. Sand small amount if needed/add more dye

5. Clearcoat

6. Buff and enjoy the coolest custom axe around!

This seems like the steps to take? yes?

:D

Beerhunter,

That looks awesome!  You were using a veneer right?  So just take it easy on the ol' sanding after you dye it black huh?  I can't wait to get a nice blue like you got there.  Where did you get your dye? and what type is it?  I think most people are telling me to forget the sanding sealer.

1.  Pore fill (with what?)

2.  Dye black, Sand back

3.  Apply blue dyes

4.  Sand small amount if needed/add more dye

5.  Clearcoat

6.  Buff and enjoy the coolest custom axe around!

This seems like the steps to take? yes?

:D

I did a step by step photo shoot

of the build. This was a Grizzly kit and was my first dye attempt. I just finished this project so I haven't had a chance to update the info on the last photos but none the less, this should give you an idea of what I did. Yes, it was a veneer and a thin one at that. I didn't sand much at all, like I said, just some 300 and 600 grit.

You have to watch out for sealed venneer if you are going to dye. The dye won't soak in evenly.

Fun stuff. I want to do a LP style with a lemon burst next. :D

Edited by BeerHunter

I did something similar to what I think you are describing (although not a V and not a veneer) on my Jan. 2005 GOTM.

Here's the pic from the PG main site:

jan5.jpg

I did a mixture of black, green, and blue with the rub on technique. I then put several coats of Tru-Oil on and then used an airbrush to do the dark fading on the edges with some black dye. After that, more Tru-Oil and that's about it.

I think you are looking for more of a blue-burst, right? You could use a similar technique to do it. I have heard that when using the rub-on burst technique, the brighter colors can be added after the darker colors (backwards from painting). I don't know for sure if this is true with different shades of blue but it does seem to be true for a cherry burst. Give it a try on some scrap and see if you like it.

Squint hard at my avatar, or check out the gallery link below. I did this sunburst(ish) effect by hand. First dye the wood black and sand most of it off, so it just leaves a little (almost none) black in the flame. Then it was dyed dark blue and sanded back, but not completely this time, just leaving it mostly a light blue colour. Then i think i did a few coats of dark blue lacquer and sanded from the middle outwards, leaving an 1" or so of the dark blue untouched. Then i think it was a mid blue coat of lacquer again.

Basically i just kept applying and sanding back till i was happy with it. It wass never supposed to be a subtle burst effect because i dont think that would have suited the sharpness of the shape

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...y&cmd=si&img=67

Thanks for all the help guys! Both your guitars look sweet! I can't wait to get a body to work on soon. In the meantime im' refinishing my american std. strat in silver because the other red finish was getting beat. So much good information on here!

I don't know if i will quite use a blue lacquer or if it will just be clear over the dye.

So....

1. dye black/sand back

2. dye blues/burst etc/sand if needed

3. fade edges with black dye

4. sanding sealer

5. clear clear clear (deft)

6. buff to a shine

That seems to be my plan. My V will look similar to Wez V but it will have a wraparound stoptail, classic gibson style headstock, and black knobs/pickups (JB and Jazz). Thanks for everything. Now im off to the kitchen to check on the sanding sealer for the strat body to see if its quite ready.

-Ben