Death Of The Brutalizer!

What was wrong with the body, anyway? Is it something that could've been repaired, thereby practicing your repair techniques, or was it something like the species of wood was unsuitable for making a guitar?

I don't have a problem with throwing out something that is ruined beyond any kind of value, but I just wonder if it could've been sprayed with a solid color or something to make it work. Having an assembled prototype around isn't a bad thing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

I think you could put this little argument to rest if you'd inform us as to why your body was reduced to firewood.

One interesting point:

The manufacturers that are able to throw out their botched up bodies, in most cases, also build their own necks. :D. Kind of messes up the analogy in a few respects, doesn't it Drak? I'm just giving you a hard time.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman
It has NOTHING to do with mediocrity. If you have an original design laid out and then cut it wrong I suppose you would just toss it out?

Been there, done that. :D

Or would you alter your design to accomodate that mistake you made?

Done that too. Both ways are options, one is as valuable and viable as the other.

I can see crucial areas like neck pockets gone wrong etc. that might render a guitar potentially unplayable then maybe that would be something for the fireplace.

OK.

If it doesn't work then you should be able to make it work. The results aren't better or worse...just different.

Hmmm, I respectfully disagree with that viewpoint. While there is merit in having that viewpoint, the merit of having the wherewithal to fix almost anything, being creative, etc., there is also room for the other viewpoint of simply admitting it won't be what you set out to build, and just trashing it and starting over.

My point is this: Don't throw mudballs at someone else's parade simply because you like clowns and they like marching bands more and forgot to include any clowns, it's still a parade, why don't you just sit back, enjoy yourself, and thank the man for hosting a nice parade that you got to enjoy for free? :D

What was wrong with the body, anyway? Is it something that could've been repaired, thereby practicing your repair techniques, or was it something like the species of wood was unsuitable for making a guitar?

I was curious myself really, it looked pretty good from here.

But I don't need a reason to mollify me, Matt is building for Matt, if he thought it needed scorching, then my feeling is, watch out for what he's gonna build next, if he's willing to scratch that one, can you imagine what he'll build to finish? :D

I don't have a problem with throwing out something that is ruined beyond any kind of value, but I just wonder if it could've been sprayed with a solid color or something to make it work. Having an assembled prototype around isn't a bad thing.

If that's what works for you then great, proceed ahead. Matt obviously has different ideas, so why not just respect them like he would respect yours.

Spraying it with a solid color is exactly what I was talking about earlier, about setting the bar for yourself very low.

When you're first starting out, the bar is low for good reason, but as you progress, you should be raising the bar, not becoming magnificent at jumping a beginners bar over and over and over.

I'm just giving you a hard time.

10-4, big daddy! :D

You had to one-up me with the fire bit tho, didn't ya?

B) hahaha it was just A good way for the guitar to go :D

The reason for the death of the brutalizer is that before I left to work with Jeremy I settled for less and the body was to WAY thin and the neck pocket was not As tight as I would have liked, plus with the body being so thin there was no where near the Meat I wanted holding that neck in place, I want to do better

So I did what I did As a passing in to A new point of my life

I learnd alot from Jeremy and Ive made some Choices and this is me holding myself to A higher standard

Matt, do you think using WD-40 gives better TONE than say, gasoline or lighter fluid or barbecue fluid? I've always found WD-40 to be too bassy for me.

And I've read using a hammer with a wiggly handle reduces sustain? Huh?

I like the sound and clean burn you get from WD-40 and yes I found useing A

wiggly handle hammer reduces sustain and causes dead spots :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

geeze matt, you could have called me up to help with the destruction :D

and, while kinda on topic bout spud guns, me and my buddy made one out of water pipe, and hooked it up via propane with a metal spigget and various taps and stuff. Our water pipe was oly big enough though to fire GOLF BALLS!!

turn your propane on for 2 or 3 seconds, shut it off, turn the tap on the gun off, un hook your propane line, make sure everything is cocked, locked and ready to rock, and click that bbq lighter and hope you didnt use too much propane!!

We could fire a golf ball straight up (in a feild of course) and wait a good minute, minute and a half before it would hit ground, and when it hit that soft ground, it went in a good 2 inchs.

I eventually had to build a tri pod to help hold it because it was getting too powerfull to hang onto (plus, it got super hot!)

Curtis

I fully respect your wanting to destroy the guitar being that it wouldn't have worked out to your liking. Personally though I would have kept it, either if it was to try new types of finishes, or grain fillers, or a new router bit technique or even to use it to make some crazy picture frame for your house, point is it could be of some value to you at some point, whetherfor guitar related stuff or not. Again I respect that you wanted to make a point of passage into a new beginning and all that, I just have a different view on that matter. I mean if I went out and bought a brand new motor for my car and went through all the work and then messed up on the gasket I would scrap the whole car, or whole motor, I would most likely get a new gasket and try again, with wood I understand it doesn't work exactly the same but keeping it to try new types of finishes you have never used or fillers or special bits, would be very useful instead of ruining another piece of nice wood to figure out if you like it or not, or if it will work on that type of wood ya know. Point is for the woodworker at home there is a ton of things it could be used for, for a factory it is probably trash, although there are likely a ton of people that would love to get all their "trash".

Anyways I did like the pics, and I hope your new beginning is a great one and everything goes well for you. Keep us posted on your progress and how things turn out for you.

Honestly I will be waiting for Curtis' project in PGOTM, I smell a tater comp a comin'. I laughed so hard when I read PGOTM. Sounds like a blast to me, you should name the first model the SS, the spud shooter. J

Thanks for the info on why it wouldn't work. I know it's none of my business, but I was just curious because it looked like a really neat body from the pix. I hope you decide to build a stronger version because I really liked those cuts on the sides. Reminded me of that big knife Rambo had that he used to cut the barbed wire with.

On another note, nothing beats Coleman white gas for setting a good piece of oak ablaze. Just don't be stupid and actually try it at home :D

I think it's also all right to admit, "It was just hella fun and felt good to destroy something."

Who needs more justification than that?

I would've kept the wood for practice or something else, but there IS something fun about wrecking and burning stuff.

Fire... Fire!

I still have my failed first attempt in the closet...don't think I'll destroy it though.

I could probably rescue it --I've learned a lot in the months since building that one, and if nothing else, the neck pocket was tight enough.

I almost gave up trying to build a guitar because of that one, thought I just was incapable of it. Instead, I knuckled down, figured out what I was doing wrong, and got back to work.

But I keep it around to remind me that this is all a learning process (for me). I still have a long ways to go!

so Drak, i just recently got a guitar ready for paint. Its a through neck design of my own, built for a client. Never made this shape before, this is the prototype, but i have a few orders.

I was showing it to a mate of the client's. He decided to pull a "rock god move" and pose with the guitar, but didnt watch where he was swinging the thing around. As i screamed out "watch it mate!" he hit the guitar on the workbench, chipping a massive piece out of the end.

DO I SCRAP IT, OR FIX IT?

Beats me, it's your parade baby, move to your own groove and do what turns you on.

I'm content to sit back in the lounger and see what you do with it either way.

Ole! :D <Drak, snapping fingers and swirling off to a good Tito Puente meringue, back into the shadows from whence he came> :D

Ole!  :D  <Drak, snapping fingers and swirling off to a good Tito Puente meringue, back into the shadows from whence he came>  B)

Sorry to correct you there Drak, but Tito Puente never played Merengue!!! He played Mambo and Salsa!

And Perry, don't do anything to it, I'll PM you my address so you can send it over for a close examination!!!! :D

so Drak, i just recently got a guitar ready for paint. Its a through neck design of my own, built for a client. Never made this shape before, this is the prototype, but i have a few orders.

I was showing it to a mate of the client's. He decided to pull a "rock god move" and pose with the guitar, but didnt watch where he was swinging the thing around. As i screamed out "watch it mate!" he hit the guitar on the workbench, chipping a massive piece out of the end.

No problem, just do one of your camo paint jobs...fill the chip in with blood red...you can call the guitar Friendly Fire... :D

First, smack the rock god in training.

Next, suggest he get more air guitar lessons before trying that again.

Third, charge him a $500 fee for his "services".

On the other hand, I do like the "friendly fire" idea. :D

You like wd40? You should try carb-cleaner. A bottle of that, 4' of 2"dia pvc, 1.5' of 6"dia pvc, and a few assorted fittings will send a potatoe a good 150 yards in a matter of seconds. Screw guitars, we need to be building potatoe guns.

You don't happen to be related to Dan Quayle, do you? :D

On the topic of combustible liquids and tonewoods, I'm a big fan of lighter fluid. it doubles for cleaning bodies and corroded metal parts as well.

GBT