14-string Bridge

Ok guys I need some Ideas form you, I want to build A 14 string flying V but I need some Ideas on what I can do for A bridge

This is where I got the Idea

lynne.jpg

And this is the look im going for, Just like this but not the bridge

I want A hard tail

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZADOKGUITARS/9_7u.jpg

So thinking caps on boys!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

The spacing would be quite tight, but the easiest option would be to get a 7 string tune o matic with no slots, and slot it for 14. Or make some kind of "Angry" acoustic bridge, with large heavy brass saddle, possibly base the shape on the asher lap steel bridge.

Grab some saddles meant for a 12 string strat style hard tale, and cut up a piece of 1.5"x1.5"x1/8" thick angle iron to make yourself a baseplate. You could paint it(black, of course...since you're metalmatt), or you could try to get it chrome plated somewhere. I'm sure Jeremy knows a plater somewhere.

The classic Fender 12-bridges are really hard to find; the newer Strat XII uses a bridge that looks almost identical to the StewMac hardtail 12, where you can adjust the intonation for each string individually. But you can't just get the saddles from StewMac, you have to get the entire bridge.

I'd also go with a TOM 7; even one with the saddles already notched isn't a problem, I used a Schaller 6 bridge for a 12 and just had 3 notches in each saddle. But it does look cleaner if you can get un-notched saddles.

Also pay close attention to the spacing between the each string and its corresponding octave; those spacings are not uniform, it gets slightly wider as the string gauges get heavier. Have this in mind when you calculate your nut width....

...and then you'll find that the neck will be wider than on a typical 7. If you use a regular 7 neck width, you'll find that the strings are crammed too close together.

You know I may do something along these lines but 10 strings not 8 I tryed it Along time ago and it looked like it could have worked!

Custom ESP 8 string

http://www.espguitars.com/images/gallery/V...bari8_snake.jpg

I have no ideas here.

The only thing I do know is that those overlarge necks (on basses too) just look dopey at best

actually, it gets much worse-- to me that 14-string neck looks like the donkey dong in the animal spam loop I saw one very strange night in Amsterdam....but that was a long time ago....right now I'm trying to imagine a player's hand trying to hang onto the thing...ick. :D

just trying to turn you off on the mega-guitar idea and convince you to build a normal 6 string. Pointy if you like. With no pickguard, if you insist. :D

HAHAHA!!! Im going to shoot for doing A 10 String like the esp type of A deal

so the neck should be the same as any other 7-string

donkey dong

:D

Ok now I need to know where I can buy A 12-string Tune-o-matic so I can swap out Saddles for my 7-string

This is A big deal with out this im not sure what I can do

Uh ... maybe I am missing something, but to get a 12-string TOM wouldn't you just start with a regular 6-string TOM with saddles that aren't slotted yet?

Im looking for pre sloted or I would have just picked up A set of saddles :D I dont want to slot them but I will if I have to

I had some trouble finding the bridge style I wanted for a 12 string. You can order one from Brian, for about $86 USD. Or if you have a Long and McQuade in your area, you can get a 12 string Rickenbacker bridge for the same price in Candian dollars.

EDIT: They have a location at 721 - 43rd St. E in Saskatoon.

Hope this helps ya.

I had some trouble finding the bridge style I wanted for a 12 string. You can order one from Brian, for about $86 USD. Or if you have a Long and McQuade in your area, you can get a 12 string Rickenbacker bridge

Is that A tune-o-matic? thats the style I need

i've done as eric suggested put two notches in a standard TOM, the 12 string TOM's brian sell have 12 saddles and look very busy and crowded, do what eric suggested put a notch either side of the original notch, the centre notch doesnt end up that noticeable when its strung up.

thats my 2 c

luke

:D:D

i've done as eric suggested put two notches in a standard TOM, the 12 string TOM's brian sell have 12 saddles and look very busy and crowded, do what eric suggested put a notch either side of the original notch, the centre notch doesnt end up that noticeable when its strung up.

thats my 2 c

Well I'll give it A try and if it looks like crap than I'll just buy some blank ones and do it my self

I just have to find A place that sells blanks :D