Drill Bit Sizes?

Hi all, I've been searching this site for some time and still cannot find the information I need. I'm sorry as i'm sure this has been asked before.

I'm about to assemble my first guitar (Telecaster copy) and I need to know what size drill bits to use for the neck screws and bridge screws. I'm using a 3 hole Fender Am Std 6 saddle bridge and a Fender 'F' 4 hole neck plate and screws.

I don't want to use a small bit and crack the timber and I also don't want to use a large bit that'll take too much screw biting timber away.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Here's what you do, take out a bit that looks about the same size as the minor diameter of the screw you're drilling a hole for. Hold the bit in front of the screw, then behind the screw. If you can't see the minor diameter(shaft, not threads) of the screw when the bit's in front and you can't see the bit when the screw's in front, you've got the correct size.

Edited by thegarehanman

Here's what you do, take out a bit that looks about the same size as the minor diameter of the screw you're drilling a hole for. Hole the bit in front of the screw, then behind the screw. If you can't see the minor diameter(shaft, not threads) of the screw when the bit's in front and you can't see the bit when the screw's in front, you've got the correct size.

+1

But most importantly, drill a few test holes in scrap.