Underoath

Do you like UnderOATH?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the stuff was supposed to be released in june. its off the new album. they posted this on their myspace:

We're stoked on the response that you guys are giving the new material but just want you to know that we are even more excited for you hear the final album crappy Mp3's of an unfinished record aren't up to par with what we plan on delivering to you on June 20th.

Here are a few things we would like you to know about the songs that were stolen from the studio before we finished recording:

* Someone without our permission or knowledge took songs we were in the middle of working on and brought it home and gave it to their friends.

* Most of the songs are titled incorrectly since the person who stole it made their own sequence based on the track listing posted on our site. So the songs are named wrong and in the wrong order.

* They are all unmixed and not yet mastered and a few songs are missing guitar and keyboard parts.

* There are still several minutes of some songs not included.

i believe them. i mean, theyve changed their sound with every album that they've released and i dont think any of it was because they wanted to change their reputation. you could speculate all day, but i'd rather listen to the music instead because its amazing.

I watched the video, doesn't really do much for me.

No real 'musical' element to it, just a constant drone of what pretty much sounds like white noise and some annoying shouting. No distinguishable lyrics either...

In fact its been about 30 secs since I finished listening to it and I've already pretty much forgotton what it sounded like...

Emo will fade away into history in a few years, and just be remembered as some sort of slightly amusing fad, just like all those 80s bands with huge mullets, except instead of mullets we have 'that hairstyle' that seems to be the emo trademark. :D

UK Emo and US Emo seem to be very different though as far as I can tell...

I dont really get the whole 'emo' craze to be honest, it seems to be bigger with people around my brothers age (hes a 3 years younger than me, I'm 17)

I voted no if you hadn't guessed!

well underoath went into an emo fad... and theyre basically almost out of it... i mean did u check out the songs i talked about from their leaked cd? if emo dies... underoath wont die with them. underoath hasnt sounded at all similar with 2 cds since act of depression and the one right before it. thats part of hardcore today... constant evolution.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bah... that emo stuff is just like every other fad... A few years ago everyone my age skateboarded, then they started snowboard, and now it's guitar (and emo-ness)

It'll just go away in a year and be replaced by something worse :D (I know what you're all thinking... Can it be worst? I'm pretty sure it can, poeple are dumb enough lol)

And all that time poeple make money off kids who want to be the same as everyone else at their school...

at my school theres not really that many emo kids, like maybe one or two. i know there are some emo "clicks" at some other schools in the area, but even there it seems like the emo ppl are trying to go against the grain, not with it. i dunno maybe my towns just weird.

Primal, I was reffering to individual bands evolving, not as a whole. most hardcore bands dont stick with the same sound between 2 albums hardly ever. Like norma jeans sound changed a bunch with the loss of vocalist josh scogin and the gain of cory brandan, between "bless the martyr, kiss the child" and "o god, the aftermath." and if you look at underoaths "cries of the past" and "they're only chasing safety," the sound evolved sooo much. and then take it a step further, and take a look at "define the great line" which is due out june 20th, they kept some of the same techniques, but the sound changed a whole lot.

I for one, am not a fan of screaming in music, period.

BUT I grew up with a sister who has been in training to be a professional oprah singer for about 11 years now, oprah is what I consider a "pure" form of singing, it has the most technically correct techniques for singing, least damaging to your voice, best projecting, most accurate to the notes, etc.

Now I am the most rebellious of my siblings you could say, sure I may listen to a breaking benjamin song or two once in a while, as someone said before, I would rather hear "yelling" as opposed to screaming, in screaming you lose nearly all control over your voice and its EXTREMELY damaging to vocal chords, I'm sure in 20 years all these "emo" or whatever the correct term for it is, singers will have gone horse, ever heard the lead singer from Skillet? His voice is shot.

I personally don't really like emo for another reason, musically it is just not interesting enough for me to listen to, its 3-4 minutes of a couple guys playing powerchords (nothing wrong with powerchords) and a guy screaming that I can't tell if he is saying F*** You or More Pooh. That is a symptom of listening to Pat Metheny and Joe Satriani, I've really grown to like the sound of complex compositions.

Also, I've been to a concert with 4, yes FOUR emo bands in one night, to me they all sounded the same, loud, distorted, and if they were a radio would have turned them off.

On another note, I am also a christian, to me nothing in this world is as important as living for Christ, and I just don't see how all this screaming and everything else helps that. If your audience can only hear you yelling and can't understand what you are saying, how is the message of salvation through Jesus Christ supposed to get through?

I have dedicated my life to God and bringing as many people to heaven to be with him as I can, that means I must find the most effective way to reach people, and for me, emo isn't it.

(disclaimer, the opinions posted above are entirely mine and in no way reflect the opinions of Projectguitar.com :D )

Edited by Firefox2551

well its like this. if you can relate to a bunch of emo kids, because you play and like emo music, then theres a connection. then as underoath does, you can say "we play music for jesus christ because thats our purpose and hes the reason we wake up every morning and want to write music." its just like anyother form of evangelism, you have to live righteously, and once youve established a connection with your target, you reveal to them that you do waht you do for jesus, and they put two and two together, and hopefully consider it.

like firefox said, i have no intention of offending anyone, i know a lot of ppl get touchy about religious issues.

Of course.

My opinion is my own, each person has their own view of certain things. I certainly don't mean to say emo is "bad" or anything. Or that it can't reach people, stranger things have happened.

In my perception I like the more quiet praise and worship kind of music, because I know how much that kind of music moves my friends and I. And I have firsthand seen the effects of that music, I have seen emo, the effects are different not bad, different thats all.