Thinking Of Buying This...

bigdguitars

So I found this... http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_...=0&filters=true

I hate the cream dots. I want to place abalone dots in there. do I just drill out the cream with a 1/8 bit chunk them out and put in the 1/4 then sand down?

Anyone else ever replace dots on a fretboard thats been fretted? Just wondering if there is a trick...

-Derek

I've only done it once and that's pretty well how i did it - i used a 2.5mm downcut in my dremel that i normally use for inlay routing, took most of the dot out and used a sharp modelling knife to clear the edges as i was fairly scared of getting to enthusiastic and slipping with the dremel as it wasn't my neck....eeek ! Then after putting the new dots in, sanded with a small modelling file and then spent a fair few hours with steel wool to blend them in. One problem is that one of the dots was quite proud and when i sanded the flash changed and i was in no mood to repeat the process - i know, bloody amatuer !!. OK, not the end of the world but something to bear in mind. In all, a fairly easy job to do but very time consuming and quite labourious.

Jem :D

Oh, forgot to say to score round the dot before you start just to avoid unwanted tear or lift and from my experience i would say i'm with Idch and see if Warmoth have exactly what you want - mind you, fairly unusual combination and full price is probably a bit steep.

Just minced over to Warmoth's site and although that necks in the 'showcase' it seems to be at standard money so i'd ask for them to do you one with the abalone dots rather than go the route of hiking them out - as i said earlier, i've done it and to all intents and purposes the job was a good 'un but it was a very dull experience and the risk of making a slip could be devestating.

Jem :D