Spotlight On 1965 Fender Mustang

In '82 a friend of mine got a '65 Fender Duosonic from his aunt. Perfect condition except for a little scrape in the top finish.

Of course, we ripped the pickups out to put in some hot DiMarzios and drilled a hole in the pickguard to install a coil tap switch. For good measure we stripped off the transparent cherry finish and threw some danish oil on it. :D

Oh, to be young and stupid again.

He eventually traded it for an old Micro-Moog.

Hey, I like that. It's like seeing bonus material from a guitar maintanence/set-up video.

Looks like somebody's getting a new workshop going with a nice concrete floor, like I have.

Thanks, I just decided that since I was going to have to disassemble it, I'd take pictures so everyone could see how they was built back then. Interesting facts that give it away as a 1965. Kluson tuners for one. It was the first year they had the bigger headstock. The tremolo has Pat Pending on it, later in 1966 they received a Patent number. The date on the back of the pickup.. haha

Speaking of the pickups, they are very noisy, is that typical of an old Fender single coil?

Speaking of the pickups, they are very noisy, is that typical of an old Fender single coil?

I have Lace Sensors on my 66 Mustang so they should be quieter than the old single coils but I got a lot of noise out of those crappy switches they use. I replaced them once but they are starting to crap out again.

I have Lace Sensors on my 66 Mustang so they should be quieter than the old single coils but I got a lot of noise out of those crappy switches they use. I replaced them once but they are starting to crap out again.

Yeah the switches on this guitar really need replacing, I cleaned them the best I could, but I'm definitely going to suggest that he get them replaced. But, yeah it's a rather noisy guitar, and the switches are terrible.