My First Build

aidlook

hey man, nice guitar your building there.

im thinking of doing something similar. and i have a few questions.

when you routed out the chambers, did you just go around the outside of it, or did you route all the wood?(probably a stupid question)

and secondly, how long does the neck extend from the nut onwards?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey man, nice guitar your building there.

im thinking of doing something similar. and i have a few questions.

when you routed out the chambers, did you just go around the outside of it, or did you route all the wood?(probably a stupid question)

and secondly, how long does the neck extend from the nut onwards?

With the neck do you mean the fingerboard or the entire neck including tenon and stuff..

You could just rout around the outside obviously..but since it's cut all the way thru you could do it with a jigsaw...

here's a new progress picture..

PICT1237.jpg

It's looking good but one thing is bugging me.

The back of the neck isint the same thickness all the way down it. What I'm talking about is in this picture. In my opinion the neck will be much more comfterable if you took down the area by the heel so the neck is same thickness along the entire surface.

i mean from the nut, to where the neck finishes.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but...

Grommit, it's time to hit the books...have you been to the main Project Guitar site? Start your reading there, lots of tutorials and info for you...and try to pick up a copy of the Melvyn Hickock book. This is a very basic question you're asking. Then start searching the forums using plenty of keywords. Spend a few weeks reading up on this.

Aidlook--I'm really enjoying this thread, great work so far...

It's looking good but one thing is bugging me.

The back of the neck isint the same thickness all the way down it. What I'm talking about is in this picture. In my opinion the neck will be much more comfterable if you took down the area by the heel so the neck is same thickness along the entire surface.

thanks for the advice..I'll probably do that..

i mean from the nut, to where the neck finishes.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but...

Grommit, it's time to hit the books...have you been to the main Project Guitar site? Start your reading there, lots of tutorials and info for you...and try to pick up a copy of the Melvyn Hickock book. This is a very basic question you're asking. Then start searching the forums using plenty of keywords. Spend a few weeks reading up on this.

Aidlook--I'm really enjoying this thread, great work so far...

Thankx Mickguard...always nice to hear people enjoy what you're posting...

Got some fretwire yesterday..and this is how it turned out.

PICT1243.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/aidlook/PICT1244.jpg

This is the last post from you that I EDIT!!! You did well on the 1st page, what happened, got picture happy!

Edited by Maiden69

I really admire your work. My 'Hybrid' progress is on another thread. I wish I had the courage to make a neck but as it's my first ever effort, I think I would make a mess of it a neck and just dump the whole thing.

Well done sir, this is going to be a great guitar! :D

Well...let's put it this way...I never thought I'd be able to make a neck...I am shocked that I've come this far honestly...I thought that I'd screw something up before this point... If you buy a preslotted fingerboard...it's not really hard at all...I'd give it a try if I where you...I can guarantee you that your woodworking skills are probably better than mine...

lovely fingerboard...

when i see your fingerboard.. i think your guitar will be good sound..

i like your fingerboard.. ^^

lovely fingerboard...

when i see your fingerboard.. i think your guitar will be good sound..

i like your fingerboard.. ^^

Thanks man...that means a lot coming from you..I've seen your work and it's just amazing..

anyway...I'll probably be putting in position markers today...And the back is being glued on..

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Cream binding is now installed front and back

Altered the headstock shape a bit.

Got all the hardware from stewmac now, got everything except pickups!

installed the bridge (adjustable string spacing schaller bridge).

Tried to drill the string thru ferrule holes....calculated wrong and drilled too tight. plugged them and I'm gonna drill new ones.

Drilled holes for the tuners (Schaller locking)...wasn't happy...filled them and drilled new ones....happy with those...

Glued in the neck!! drying now...will post pictures tomorrow..

I've played my first guitar I ever built!!!

put strings on it and played for a while

It played a lot better than I expected, only got buzz on 2 places....and I haven't done any levelling yet..

Just need to get started on a pickguard and then finish this baby up...then I'll get going on the electronics..

Here it is with strings on it!

PICT1307.jpg

What a great job! I love seeing stuff like this. Apart from the quality of the work, its encouraging to see how nice a first build can be! I'm so close to committing to my first build...

• 1 month later...

I'm finally starting to do stuff again...a vacation where all my money and time was spent led me to put the project aside for a while.. But now it's back..I'm gonna get as much finished before I go back to sweden. And back there I will order the pickups from the UK.

Pickguard is done (except for making holes for the pickups :D )

and all the electronics where completed. well obviously except for pickups. (and I also have to get a capacitor for the tone pot)

But anyway...I've never done any work on guitar electronics before, well I did changedthe swirch on my lp once, so It was a big surprise when everything actually worked when I plugged it in.( stole a single coil pickup from my little sisters guitar to test the circuit) .

PICT1497.jpg

Back of pickguard

• 2 months later...

Any shots of the full body with the 'guard attached?

This thing looks really nice. I love pickguards with that wrap-around-the-bottom curve for the electronics like that. I feel like if it was mine, the only change I would make is that inward-curve on the bass side of the pickguard - I feel like something with a slight outward curve like a mustang guard, or perhaps a compound curve like a strat might look nicer, but that's just a personal choice. (S'why I wondered for a picture, my opinion of this curve might change entirely if I saw the whole guitar shape with the guard on it) - regardless, this is looking great. I love white pickguards, and the headstock shape is nice, too. I wish my first guitar had been this nice!