Neck Building And Bridge Aligning

Is this correct?

I have a scale length of 24 3/4. To make sure that my numbers were correct, I divide

the scale length by 17.817 which = 1.389.

1.389 is the length from the nut to the first fret.

Now the placement of the bridge.

It has to be exactly 24 3/4 from the nut right?? Duh..

Now what I dont understand is how to setup up the string saddle with an angle. It throws my numbers off. Why is it set it up this way?(tuning?) How do I figure out how to angle the string saddle on my guitar?

Example>>

http://repairtech.seesaa.net/Bridge/90j8BE04.PNG

Opps sorry mods. Double post.

Is this correct?

I have a scale length of 24 3/4. To make sure that my numbers were correct, I divide

the scale length by 17.817 which = 1.389.

1.389 is the length from the nut to the first fret.

Now the placement of the bridge.

It has to be exactly 24 3/4 from the nut right?? Duh..

Now what I dont understand is how to setup up the string saddle with an angle. It throws my numbers off. Why is it set it up this way?(tuning?) How do I figure out how to angle the string saddle on my guitar?

Example>>

http://repairtech.seesaa.net/Bridge/90j8BE04.PNG

Opps sorry mods. Double post.

It's called intonation, and you need some to have your strings play in tune. And 'ideal string' wouldn't need such a crass lengthening, but real world strings have mass, thickness, and particularly stiffness to 'overcome', and adding compensations helps with this and allows an instrument to play in tune.

For electrics, as a rule, I set up the bridge with the High E saddle as far forward as it will go, and that point goes exactly at the scale length (twice the distance from nut to 12th fret; that's how you measure scale length, don't go do funny math to figure out nut to first fret distance. That's just silly). The rest adjusts later. This works best/most easily for strat-type bridges that have plenty of 'travel' in the saddles. For an angled bridge like a Tunomatic, things are a little different (post stop tailpieces go on straight, BTW).

Of course, our friends at StewMac have a lovely fret calculator which actually includes all common measurements needed for pretty much any bridge you might want.

http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator/

I'd use that. Should work just dandy.

However, also go look at some of your strung up, in tune guitars. Measure nut -> 12th fret distance. Measure 12th fret -> saddle (where the string hits the saddle) for each string. Subract the two from each other, and voila, instant information on good intonation for a guitar with that scale length and those strings. Assuming it's set up properly, anyway.

So with a 23 fret, 24.75 scale length guitar, the bass side should be angled about 24.811" (±0.030") from nut to center of treble-side post. And the Bass side Mounted 1/16"-1/8" further from the nut?

Never Mind I got it!

Thanks mattia