Cutting Inlays

cole

I have a question for you guys, does anyone have any good suggestions for cutting inlay dots? I've tryed to find info on it but haven't really come up with anything. Everyone I talk to says buy pre-cut ones but I have the material i want and I cant get it pre-cut so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Are you cutting dots that are too small to allow you to use a jewelers saw? They make these things called plug cutters. Basically it's a circle cutter without the drill bit in the middle. If you used one of those, you'd have to go very slowly so as not to chip the shell, and it'd produce more waste than a jeweler's saw would, but it might work. There must be a better way though; I just can't think of it at the moment.

peace,

russ

I just got a book called Pearl Inlay by James E. Patterson for Christmas that has a section on making your own dots. He talks about using steel shaft the size of the dot you want and using a drill press. You attach a rough piece of your inlay material to the bottom of the steel with CA or Epoxy and use sandpaper attached to a piece of wood and gently apply pressure to the inlay material as it spins using the drill press. Pop off after inlay is round. Protect yourself from breathing the dust as it's unhealthy.

Good Luck!

Jeff

OMG! that is freakin' genious!!! I would have NEVER thought of that, but it's amazingly awesome and simple! I've been cutting Recon Stone dots for the last couple days, throwing out half! lol. You just made my life SO much easier! You're a god! Thanks!

Chris

Recon Stone (and abalon below 3mm) dots here I come!!!

oh yeah, one other thing?.... I went out and got the stuff to do this with but thought.... how will i get the recon stone/pearl dot off if it's super glued on??? Wouldn't that damage it if I just tried to "pop" it off. I got a little acetate/nail polish remover in hopes that would do the trick/help??

Chris

Acetone dissolves CA. Just let it soak a few seconds and you can pry the dot off

And there are special CA removers, but then again, Acetone works fine,

MAN! This whole process works SO freakin' perfectly!!! Ya'll GOTTA try it! It's so easy and the results.... i nearly pee'ed myself I was so happy hahaha

Chris

Now, how am I supposed to get my project finished when you guys keep posting all these great ideas? :D

I had already decided it was too much work to replace the white side dots with abalone, but you've gone and tempted me to go ahead with it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Those white side marker dots are history :D

I just chucked up an old 3/32" bit (the end has to be completely flat - bits with beveled edges don't give you enough gluing surface) backwards in my dremel and superglued a little abalone square on the end. Only takes a few minutes at 4,000 rpm to sand it down to a nice round dot. Just don't apply too much pressure - I got too aggressive on one of them and flaked off most of the abalone.

Thanks for the tip :D

I just got a book called Pearl Inlay by James E. Patterson for Christmas that has a section on making your own dots. He talks about using steel shaft the size of the dot you want and using a drill press. You attach a rough piece of your inlay material to the bottom of the steel with CA or Epoxy and use sandpaper attached to a piece of wood and gently apply pressure to the inlay material as it spins using the drill press. Pop off after inlay is round. Protect yourself from breathing the dust as it's unhealthy.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Thanks for that, that info helps a lot. :D