Another Neck Building Question

a 22 fret neck has a fingerboard that overhangs from the end of the neck, generally.I have a friend that bought a strat copy template from them. The fret marker holes were not in the correct place for a 22.5 scale legnth so beware and chek them out first,maybe it was just this template, but don't know for sure.So to answer the original question you could use the template for either.

I bought strat and tele templates from ronny and i noticed some difference between the 2 neck joints , the tele neck fits tighter than the strat

is that a problem ?

( considering that the centre line cant be followed by placing the neck on the body of the 2 templates )

Edited by johnn_h

I forgot to mention that the template(strat copy) I used had a neck joint pocket that was too tight to fit the neck in it. I used this for a friends guitar and we had to cut the pocket bigger to fit the neck in it. He made the body And I made the neck.

both templates were in a matched set but they didn't fit. I never tried it in a Fender body to see which one was wrong ,the neck or the pocket. Obviosley they aren't exact templates.

If the fit is over tight with bare wood it will be worse once the guitar is finished with lacquer ,etc. trying to fit a neck in a pocket like that will cause sorrow when the finish chips or cracks from the pressure. You definitely need to fix that joint.

I should be getting my tele template sometime this week or early next week, hopefully. If I can help i'd be glad too. I would assume it's 21 frets, and if you wanted 22 frets just have the overhang mentioned before.

I was also wondering that, maybe you can e-mail Ronny at Guitarbuildingtemplates and ask him??

info@guitarbuildingtemplates.com

Edited by AlGeeEater

I would assume it's 21 frets, and if you wanted 22 frets just have the overhang mentioned before.

I believe it is the correct length for 21 frets, as others have said - the 22 fret hangs over the end of the neck. For those that have used his templates, but made a 22 fret neck, did you build an additional template for the fret board? If not did you just route around the last fret (Freehand)? I am concerned that i would screw up the proper width - I much prefer routing with a template guide.

Bill