Drum Midi

ultraman

Emagic's Logic, now marketed by Apple. You can get it for more than 50% off if you order it through your school (edu discount). It is very extensive & flexible, as close as you can get to Pro Tools for under $1000.

Personally I like to use the MIDI track to trigger drum samples, then write that to an audio file. Sounds more real than most MIDI kits.

Hey there...free...hmmm...my kinda guy

I got no money but am just getting into digital recording into this box here.

I use Audacity (free) and for simple drum tracks use the virtual drum machine HammerHead

here's a link to an Audacity Tutorial with link to download if people are interested in it...Audacity Tutorial

and here's a link to HammerHead...HammerHead Site

HammerHead is a typical drum machine, not midi, but will play samples. So you can use their dance oriented electronic stuff, but has a user bank so u can load up acoustic kits and ethinic instruments as well. Even has a shuffle for "feel", distortion and reverse effects for each sound. Kits and sounds are linked from the site...but there are other sites of sampled drums and loops around...just uses wave files.

Very simple...just do it measure by measure then save the whole thing to a wave and up load into something like audacity. For a little spice...load up individually sampled cymbals (there's a nice collection to add to hammerhead you can use) for instance and place those hits as you want into Audacity (or whatever you use) and mix to one drum track.

I'd love to hear of other's who use free stuff. There are some good things out there but there are always comprimises...even if you pay I guess too...hope this is of interest...psw

oh...for midi you can use just about any sequencer and select the correct midi sound bank (err...10 I think) and save the sequence as a wave then download that into something like Audacity...sampled sounds sound better to me and are easier to do on something like the above.

Edited by psw

Yeah PSW I already use audicity for doing my tracking. Its pretty good. That drum machine you suggested looks ok but its sorta too basic for me. And MICKGUARD. Thats a good idea. Im gonna check that out. I got the program but i cant install it yet(no administrative privilegdes). Ill do that and check it out. Any more suggestions?

Well, for converting midi to wav, I use the wavOutput (or something like that) plugin that comes standard on Winamp (if I am not mistaken, it is the same plugin you use if you want to convert mp3 to midi). Its not a conversion, per se, rather it takes the output of the midi file you are playing and records it to a wav file. The only downside is that you need a full duplex soundcard (however, of all my soundcards I have never had one that WASN'T full duplex, so you are probably set to go).

I do that in Guitar Pro4, i write the tab, export a midi, import that midi file in to ACIDpro 4 and render that in to wav. or mp3 or wma or whater you want.

Also, keep in mind, nothing takes midi directly to audio. Midi is a set of triggers (information) that tell sound devices to play notes, then the output from that device needs to be recorded as audio.....UNLESS you are using soft synths (VST's..etc) that will dump directly to audio because the soft synth software internally contain the sounds.

MIDI is only as good for drums as the samples it's triggering and the way the velocity response curve triggers those samples.

You get something like fxPansion's BFD, and you're getting sounds that are as good as a loop.

I generally prefer loops because you don't have to program them, you just audition and select them. On the other hand, it's trickier (but not impossible!) to modify them to match what you hear in your head.

Greg

I'd have to say that FRUITY LOOPS

is the best program for making drum paterns. I actually used them on some of recordings that i done and in final mixdovn you cant tell diference from a real drum. Well you can 'cos it is played perfectly but i supose that Portnoy from Dream theater can too.

With Fruity Loops you can even sample your own drums and work with it.

Exporting sample that you done cant be easyer and you can export it in mp2, wav etc with 32 bit 44100 samplerate.

Try to download free demo version and youll see.

I do that in Guitar Pro4, i write the tab, export a midi, import that midi file in to ACIDpro 4 and render that in to wav. or mp3 or wma or whater you want.

Also, keep in mind, nothing takes midi directly to audio. Midi is a set of triggers (information) that tell sound devices to play notes, then the output from that device needs to be recorded as audio.....UNLESS you are using soft synths (VST's..etc) that will dump directly to audio because the soft synth software internally contain the sounds.

Umm i said i import it to ACIDpro and i can make it a mp3 or wav or whatever. So in short, yes somthing does take it direct from midi to audio.

I used fruity loops too, i didnt think of that because he said midi.

looks like a good program but...you can't save on the demo and it looks like it costs $300+. Not too bad for a complete studio by the look of it.

I got a free copy of Cakewalk Express. This will do extensive midi and record wave files. Midi in/out, Piano roll, notation, virtual keyboard, etc...but I don't know how you'd get a copy. Certainly something like this would do the job of combining midi and waves, if midi is your thing.

One good thing about midi is there are plenty of midi files out there, strip off the cheesy organs, lame guitars, and feeless bass and you got the complete drum track...use them as a guide to lay down the tracks to start then mute them out as you replace them if you want...

:D

yea but in Fruity loops you can bouth export and import midi files.

I usualy export guitar pro 5 drum paterns in midi and then import it to FL and play with it cos FL asks you if you want every chanell separated so you have it separated in FL and just asigne the sound to it.

Well i have latest FL studio producer edition so maybe only he can do all thouse thingies, not sure??!

Umm i said i import it to ACIDpro and i can make it a mp3 or wav or whatever. So in short, yes somthing does take it direct from midi to audio.

I used fruity loops too, i didnt think of that because he said midi.

Trust me on this dude! Not without a DSP, even average sound cards have a DSP and can play midi files making sound. Certainly ACID could capture the audio produce by the DSP fired by midi but nothing takes midi directly to audio because they're two different cats. :D

Ah while I'm at it, just cut to the chase, this is most of my rig. Get's the job done! :D

346688602_l.jpg

Edited by Gorecki