B.c. Rich/rico

I have a B.C. Rico neck thru wave Serial number R1701 and nobody seems to have any idea of what im talking about. Google search shows BC Rich makes a Tripp wave only available in silver with the Static X Garb( hence the Tripp sig model) All I know is somehow, all records for these old monsters disappeared, and now I have a guitar that cant be identified. Even the serial number dosent match up to what BC Rich says should be there(6 digits) Help please?

The guitar is one of the original NJ series from the early eighties. They only used the BC Rico logo for a short time.

They switched logos and went to bolt on not long after that.

The japaneese series was the best built. I've owned a few and they all were of solid quality.

Congrats, nice axe :D

Just an aside ...

Back in the early 80s when the NJ series came out, everyone thought BC Rich was going to hell, because everybody knows the only good guitars are handmade in the USA.

My buddy has an original handmade USA Mockingbird in near mint condition. Do they even do the USA models any more?

FWIW, most of the NJ stuff from the 80s Nagoya Japan production is really excellent quality - don't confuse it with the late 90s/recent imports of the same name, it's not even close!

Hey, Rodney, with Bernie Sr. deceased, and Bernie Jr and Joey off doing their own stuff, any idea who is making the USA stuff for Hanser these days?

It's a bit nebulous, but I would say with 90% confidence that the luthiers in Mexico that have had a on again off again relationship with BCR in Mexico are doing the basic building.

I have it on good authority that the guys who were doing Bernie JR's work and were the finish shop for BCR until recently are doing the finish work in Socal.

It is definetly being contracted out. I've heard rumours that it's more than one shop as well.