Guitar Graphics

DaveK

O.K. after viewing the ESP Kamakazi on the Auction board I have to ask.....

Can anyone out there tell me HOW to do the graphics that Jackson & ESP do on their guitars.

Everytime I ask, someone tells me that it's "airbrushed".

I say NONSENSE! there is no way to accurately "airbrush" a photograph or album art!

Why is this such a well kept secret???

Can someone spill the beans??

The ever-currious Dave K :D

Everytime I ask, someone tells me that it's "airbrushed".

I say NONSENSE! there is no way to accurately "airbrush" a photograph or album art!

Why do you say that?

Airbrushing is a perfect way to mimic it, most of the ESP's and production fancy graphics, like the skulls and snakes for example were originally airbrushed, then a reproduction was created for the run. The original JPM ibanez's were all airbrushed, then became photo prints.

Remember, an airbrush is only a small spray gun, with masks, like you would use on the kamikaze, it's the fastest way to paint it.

I use my airbrush every day! :D

I think you may have inadvertantly answered my question!

If you go from airbrushing to a photoprint as you describe, then I have 2 questions

1) what IS a photo-print & how do you apply it to a guitar for a graphic?

2) If I wanted to do something like an album cover as a graphic, then could I convert an actual photograph into a photo-print & apply the graphic to the guitar???????

Dave K

P.S. Jeremy, you are like my personal YODA :D , you seem to have the answers to all my off the wall questions! Thanks!

LOL, follow me young jedi, I will guide you to see the light! LOL

Anyway, basically, there are a couple ways to do it, take your album cover to a photocopy place, and get a GOOD color copy made on photo paper, then follow the material finish tutorial basically. The only bad side is, if it is a CD cover, you will be enlarging so much you will lose some quality, if it's an LP cover, you will be better.

Secondly, you can go to a sign shop, there are a few machines called the Gerber Edge (and many similar ones) that allow full color printing on vinyl, you can get your graphic applied to that, and then just adhere the vinyl to your guitar. If you end up not liking it in a couple months, you can take it off easily with a hair drier. You can also clear over it, but finding a paint that will bond well to the vinyl is tricky somethings. Laquers don't work well, usually you need a 2 part paint which are typically cyanide based, you need a fresh air spray mask and proper booth to safely spray those.

Yoda

p.s., ironically, I just got an email from another customer who in the end said, "help me obi wan kenobe, you're my only hope" LOL

now if yoda could only use the force to get the damn paint reps to give me the info on the paint you want..........

Master Yoda:

When you say " You can also clear over it, but finding a paint that will bond well to the vinyl is tricky"

You have confused your young apprentice....

are you saying

1) That the CLEAR bonding to the vinyl is tricky?

or

2) That finding paint that will bond well to the vinyl is tricky

If you are saying 2), why would I paint OVER the vinyl? Wouldn't I paint first, apply the vinyl, then clear it?

Lastly, how do you avoid "bubbles" when laying down the vinyl?

You know.....this would make another cool tutorial (hint, hint)

Dave K :D

no, your full print would already be on the vinyl, getting a clear paint that adheres well to the vinyl is tricky. Vinyl has almost a waxy like finish on it, it works fine with most clears if you can scuff the surface with scotchbrite or something, but that would ruin a graphic.

The other issue with vinyl, is it is just a sticky adhesive, over time, it stands the chance of lifting on the body and ruining the job. I haven't played with a full body cover in vinyl, just logo's and they are small enough I haven't worried about it at all.

yoda

oh, you avoid bubbles same way sign makers do, you spray on a soapy water solution from a spray bottle, then lay the vinyl on that, you squeegee out the water, and it leaves no bubbles.

yoda-saber_small.jpg

yes, I'm bored! LOL!!!