Bare Neck Finish

SMellmo

i use a little different mixture than Nalo1022 but it's essentially the same end result. i use equal parts of linseed oil, turpentine and varnish. leaves a nice smooth, natural feeling and can be built up to the sheen you want by adding additional coats.

i use a little different mixture than Nalo1022 but it's essentially the same end result.  i use equal parts of linseed oil, turpentine and varnish.  leaves a nice smooth, natural feeling and can be built up to the sheen you want by adding additional coats.

how do you apply this ?? spray gun of with a rag ?!

what kind of varnish is compatible with this ?

i use a little different mixture than Nalo1022 but it's essentially the same end result.  i use equal parts of linseed oil, turpentine and varnish.  leaves a nice smooth, natural feeling and can be built up to the sheen you want by adding additional coats.

when i'm finishing the body i use a cheap bristle brush and flood the entire thing, let it soak in for a few minutes then wipe and let cure. on the neck i generally use an old t-shirt so that i can control it better. just wipe it on, let it soak in for 10 minutes or so and then wipe off the excess. let it cure a few hours after the first coat then apply and wipe again. then let the second coat and all subsequent coats dry over night. add coats until it looks and feels like you want it to.

as for what kind of varnish..just your basic garden variety varnish. you can substiture polyeurathane if you like. i use boiled linseed oil and regular turpentine. you can use paint thinner if you like instead of turpentine but i like it because when you can't smell it any more your work is totally cured.

good luck.

when i'm finishing the body i use a cheap bristle brush and flood the entire thing, let it soak in for a few minutes then wipe and let cure. on the neck i generally use an old t-shirt so that i can control it better. just wipe it on, let it soak in for 10 minutes or so and then wipe off the excess. let it cure a few hours after the first coat then apply and wipe again. then let the second coat and all subsequent coats dry over night. add coats until it looks and feels like you want it to.

as for what kind of varnish..just your basic garden variety varnish. you can substiture polyeurathane if you like. i use boiled linseed oil and regular turpentine. you can use paint thinner if you like instead of turpentine but i like it because when you can't smell it any more your work is totally cured.

good luck.

Would the turpentine or the thinner "attack" the plastic black dots inlay ??

probably not but i don't finish the front of the neck just the headstock, back and side of the fretboard. that's why i use a rag instead of a brush..control. on the fretboard itself i use plain old mineral oil..

but if you want to finish the front i doubt that there's enough of anything in the mixture to attack the fret dots..like anything else having to do with finish it's best to try a small area first and see what happens. take a q-tip and dab a little on one of the fret dots and wait a couple of minutes to wipe it off..if it doesn't disappear or blow up or start smokin' you're probably going to be all right. :D