Solidbody F-holes

OK, so I came up with the COOLEST idea.... so you have a solidbody... but want sweet looking f-holes.... here's what ya do. Build your body, then build a template of the f-holee shape you want, and then just route it into the top of the body. then paint the inside walls black... 'd say it'd be something quite "out there" and new! I'm tempted to do it!! (next build maybe?)

Chris

For those of you that still don't follow, it's like a normal f-hole.. but instead of the f-hole opening leading to a large inner cavity, the cavity is jsut the exact same size and shape as the hole... and right below it :D

I had the same idea a few months ago. I think it would be better to not paint the insides black and to just leave it natural, especially since if you play it, the inside of the F holes will look pretty dark non the less. I think those fake f-holes on that ibanez and other guitars are tacky. You gotta have the real thing.

Take it one step farther --route your f-hole. Then, leaving a top shelf/edge of 5 mm or so, route out the inside of the f-hole, that is, take away some of the wood from below the 'shelf'.

You wouldn't have to take away much, just a few mm. If you had the right kind of bit (maybe a dremel would be best for this kind of thing?) you could make it look pretty convincing.

There are so many professional builders out there that think their ideas are the most original ever, when, in reality, the idea is already widely used. It's easier to just assume that any idea you have has already been taken, but use it anyhow. You wouldn't want to go around telling people you discovered the inlaid top only to find out it'd been done already...30 years ago. That would just be silly. :D

Nice Guitar Mr Sustainer... :D ...Hey that's me!!! B)

Actually, I've just put that guitar down after an hour or so sustaining away...hehe.

I didn't actually want to go right through....my original idea was much like your original. Then I thought I could use some kind of router bit to undercut it say 5mm around the f hole too.

Mainly it was the curves in the strat (particularly on the back) that decided it for me...I drew out the design and cut it through with a scroll saw...not the best tool for the job but it worked out in the end.

It would be great if someone could work out a way of undercutting a hole like this. Imagine...you could fit the whole sustainer circuit (or preamp) and the battery under the jack plate of a strat, probably the switches too...neat, just two screws to replace the battery and looks kinda stock....But then maybe I'm the only one who'd want to do this mod...

nice pic LOL...psw AKA Mr Sustainer!! :D

Oh yeah...know the feeling BTW...I recently posted a Patent for an electronic Sustainer from 1892...over 100 years ago!!! I was alarmed to see one part of the patent showed something I had kept under my hat for further exploration...sending magnetic pulses through the string by having coils in a trem block...doh! 'Course they were thinking for the piano in those days...but same diff...nothing new under the sun i guess. Use it anyway I say. (oh and for sustain-o-philes...yes it does work but in an impractical way...neat idea though...took a lot of mental energy and experimentation to get it to work...doh, doH dOH DOH!!

Edited by psw

Then I thought I could use some kind of router bit to undercut it say 5mm around the f hole too.

My idea on that one (cause I er...hem...invented the idea) was to use a set of straight bits and an undersized bearing/collar, since you can buy all the pieces separately.

So a 10 mm bearing, for example, and a set of straight bits starting at 12 mm going up to 16 more more. (So that each pass would take away only a minimum --if you're brave, you can just start with the largest bit)

Of course, the smaller your bearing, the smaller the straight bit, which might make it easier to control it and get it right.

Yeah...or a big old rebating bit...got to get the hole the right shape to carry it off though i guess. I was going to try it but on a strat that back contour cuts too deep. Would probably work for that battery idea though...if anyone's got the nerve!!!