Gibson Put A Decent Heel On A Les Paul

well untill i played an aanj or more recently my neck through i thought the gibson neck joints were the bee's knee's, i have pretty big hands so i have never had any trouble reaching around them,

other comments about that guitar, sure the neck joint looks alright, but they have just destroyed the essence of a les paul with the trem and the sustainer, well its killed it for me anyway.

luke

:D

Billy Duffy of 'The Cult' was playing floyded pauls in the late 80's. Maybe it's just the ticket for a dead sounding lester that needs some help with sustain.

I don't like that Schon model. Those extra switches look like crap and maybe the knob configuration too.

And the "improved heel"... well, the whole thing about a *good* sounding Les Paul is that it sounds so good, you don't care about how uncomfortable it is. That's part of the deal with playing one (kind of an image thing too, I guess.)

Gibson should have done that years ago. The heel is great. Back in '97, I was in the market for a Les Paul and I didn't buy one because of the heel, the lack of quality and price/quality ratio.

As for the rest of the guitar, I really dislike the pickup colors - looks like a cheaply modded Les Paul. The inlays make it look like a copy and the little switches are retarded.

I don't mind the floyd though.

One thought... with the floyd rose on there, recessed and all, there is no longer a need for an angled neck. It would be fun to see one in real life to see what they did in that department.

I'd like to see a recessed tune-o-matic on a Gibson. Just another one of those things that Gibson should have done a long time ago.

What I find interesting is that they have gone with a sustainer!!

I don't mind a trem on a les Paul...as a concept. It is a very traditional guitar and this model is quite a departure in concept...pity they didn't come up with something new in the design department. Better a les Paul than Schons "can opener" style last signature guitar I've saw.

With a sustainer there are so many techniques that use the trem that it really is a good idea to team the two devices. I'm surprised that Fernandes seem to feature so many non-trem sustainer guitars. Perhaps they should follow through with a version of their Les Paul-ish "Ravelle" with a trem of some kind...psw

I'm actually building a '58 burst at the moment and I'm putting an OFR and lock nut on it.

You can do that, just don't call it a "58 burst" (unless you put a Bigsby B7 on it :D ). I'm not usually one for coloring within the lines, but when it comes to these vintage Ur-guitars, well my stick is firmly in the mud. The only bridge to put on a "58 burst" is a nickel-plated ABR-1 & nickel-plated aluminum stoptail.

Bah humbug! :D

BTW, that heel is an improvement, but I've seen better here on the forum. That rosewood-necked LP comes to mind (who was that again?).

i like the look of a FR but it looks small and wimpy on a les paul, its like sometimes two good things go good together (cheeseburger+fries) and sometimes they dont, (ice cream+pizza) also cant do any of those "lift guitar up by whammy bar" pull ups with the les paul its liable to snap the bar right off and break your foot. :D

Edited by Nitefly SA

If you think the Schon Les Paul is fugly, check out the Townshend Les Paul. Pete doesn't even play it in concert, either. At least when Fender does a sig model they don't stray too far off the elegance of the original instrument.

I love my Les Paul, but I hate it when Gibson thinks they have to make these ugly "limited" models that look like cobbled-together pawnshop prizes. Would it have really been that much more effort to put a faux-chrome cover over the neck pickup/sustainer system? The best sig models they ever did were the Townshend/Iommi/Young SGs, and the original Page/Perry/Moore Les Pauls. Besides the "original" Les Paul, of course.

Edited by crafty

I'd like to see a recessed tune-o-matic on a Gibson. Just another one of those things that Gibson should have done a long time ago.

Why is that? i like my TOM's more than these low floyds, more distance between the string and body.

I prefer the strings closer to the body for 3 reasons:

1- Picking hand position. When picking the strings, my hand can rest on the body without having to turn the wrist up towards the strings. My wrist can be more in line with my forearm. This makes for a more relaxed hand and therefore, better speed and control.

2- Resonance. On a solid body, I'm not sure if this really makes a big difference but having the strings closer to the body is one of those things that intuitively, you would think that it would transmit more energy to the body and there fore, to the pickups.

3- Pickup rings. Because the pickups can be positioned more deeply in the body, they can be mounted on the wood, not on a pickup ring. Believe it or not, electro magnetic pickups are sensitive to the vibration of the wood. decoupling the pickups and body doesn't make sense to me.

In saying that, I love the sound of my strat but on a pickguarded guitar, the strings will make the plastic guard resonate somewhat (pickguard material makes a difference in sound in my experience) which contributes to the overall sound.