X-bridge Question

unclej

ok, i just installed an lr baggs x-bridge on a great old strat. no problem with the installation but i'm currious about something. once installed according to baggs' instructions the middle tone pot becomes a volume pot for the x-bridge, the front volume is for the regular pups and the rear tone pot is just that, a tone pot. i'm ok so far. but...you have to use a stereo jack and a cord with a stereo tip at the guitar end that then splits into two mono tips and requires that your amp has two seperate channels.

why couldn't the whole system be set up so that you could use either the standard pups or the x-bridge seperately or blend them together without having to use two channels?

It's an issue with the piezo and magnetic signals not mixing. You need the control x preamp to mix the two signals. Then you can have both or just one signal in mono or stereo. I took one out of my last build because the magnetic pickups and piezo sounded too simular. I was going to offer it to you, but now that I think of it...I have absolutely no clue where I stashed it :D .

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

It's an issue with the piezo and magnetic signals not mixing. You need the control x preamp to mix the two signals. Then you can have both or just one signal in mono or stereo. I took one out of my last build because the magnetic pickups and piezo sounded too simular. I was going to offer it to you, but now that I think of it...I have absolutely no clue where I stashed it :D .

peace,

russ

thanks russ..that makes sense..and i appreciate the offer but this was for a customer and he's fine with the split cord and all so it's really not an issue..like i said, i was just wondering why.

and thanks for your thoughts nitefly.

Yes,

Russ is correct. I also have an X-Bridge now, recentlyThe trick is that you would want a seperate amp for the magnetics and for the piezo. Piezos sound like crap through tubes, and mags sound like crap through solid state. If you ever plugged an ovation into a tube you know what I mean. The control-x is a piece because it doesn't take any of the above into consideration. The idea is good but it doesn't work well. You really need an external preamp for the acoustic. I have mine with an on-on-on switch and the stereo jack. Insert a regular guitar cable, its a full fledged strat. Insert a TRS cable and split it at the ends, you have the best of both worlds. Mags, piezo or both, blended...properly.

give it a go you'll be surprised

I put an X-Bridge on my MIM Strat last year, without the (extra cost) CTRL-X. I already had an old Fishman Model G outboard preamp that I mounted on my pedalboard and powered with my 1SPOT. I just preset the Fishman's volume and tone controls at sound check, and the output goes direct to the PA.