Its A Good Router?

Fanatic1

I could be wrong here, but my rule of thumb is that making certain your router bits are sharp and clean and that you're routing the wood in the right direction is far more important than lowering your speed for a certain type of wood. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't understand why you'd want to use a lower speed. It seems to me like you'd just be asking for tear out. Best I can tell you is that my previously mentioned mantra has always left me with satisfying results.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

I could be wrong here, but my rule of thumb is that making certain your router bits are sharp and clean and that you're routing the wood in the right direction is far more important than lowering your speed for a certain type of wood. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't understand why you'd want to use a lower speed. It seems to me like you'd just be asking for tear out. Best I can tell you is that my previously mentioned mantra has always left me with satisfying results.

peace,

russ

You'd probably want to use different speeds for different diameter cutters. My router has 7 speeds I think, but I barely touch the selector wheel anyway.

You adjust speed to suit the cutter.

A 38mm rebate bit, or a bowl bit, or a big round over etc spins just as fast as a small bit, but because it's larger the outer edges are travelling much faster. So, you reduce speed or you get overheating, burning, premature cutterwear etc.

You can do without it, but it's nice to have if you need to use a large diamter cutter.

You adjust speed to suit the cutter.

A 38mm rebate bit, or a bowl bit, or a big round over etc spins just as fast as a small bit, but because it's larger the outer edges are travelling much faster.  So, you reduce speed or you get overheating, burning, premature cutterwear etc.

You can do without it, but it's nice to have if you need to use a large diamter cutter.

Yeah that's what I thought. I tend to adjust it when I use different diameter cutters, but the diameter doesn't change too much anyway.

+1 to both Russ and Setch.

A variable speed router will give you more long term flexibility for general woodworking, furniture making (e.g. raised panel doors), use in a router table, etc.

For guitar making, I think a single speed is fine. I tend to use the router for cleaning up pickup cavities, neck pockets, electronics cavities, etc after drilling out most of the waste first, and for cutting truss rod channels, rounding over edges, etc. For that work, the bits aren't large and I haven't had any problems with a single speed.

I know others use a router for more e.g. flattening the surface of body blanks, initial shaping of neck contours, etc. I'll defer to those who do that.

Ah, ok. I see what you mean setch. You really only need to worry about lowering your speed if your working with bits like pannel shapers and what not for doors and moldings etc. I actually just got a batch of bits from pricecutter.com. Among them is a 3/4" round over bit with a 1/2" shank. It's one of the largest bits that I've ever needed for guitar building. Anyhow, my table router must have adjustable speed because my dad's always using shaper bits in it for his projects with raised pannels.

I use my router for thicknessing all of the time.

peace,

russ