Beginner Saw

javacody

What would you choose for a beginner's first saw for making say a guitar or two a year, he/she has limited space and can only afford $150.00 max?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 5 weeks later...

... I don't care for the results of my jigsaw for sawing bodies (waaaay too much sanding).

Have you thought about using a router with a flush trim bit with the bearing riding on the template? This makes a much nicer countour and is much less stressful than following a pencil line with a jigsaw. If I remember correctly, GuitarFrenzy used this technic in his guitar building tutorial.

Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about and I'll find it for you.

Araz

As I have both types of saws I can say that the bandsaw wins hands down for cutting the body and neck shapes out. The scroll saw has a hard time (I say this because I tried it) cutting the shapes out straight through a 1.5 inch thick block of mahogany. I will say the scroll saw has come in handy for other things but I would definitely get the bandsaw before the scrollsaw.

If you don't have a router to flush trim the edges, I'd say scroll saw since the blades can bend and work around tight edges whereas a bandsaw just stops running if you take a tight turn so thats why you SHOULD have a router if you have a bandsaw.

I have both. My Bandsaw is great. I use 1/8",1/4" and 3/4" blades and can do tight curves to 12" re-saw. My scroll saw is great for light duty fine cuts. It is nice to not have to switch bandsaw blades for a small task. If I had to choose one. It without hesitation would be the Bandsaw. A 14" Bandsaw w/riser block, 1-1/2hp, nice guides cool block or Carter bearing, and good quality blades is a really great tool(that will get plenty of use).

Peace,Rich

so how much is a small band saw? and roughly how big?

i thought that they were arongd £500 plus!

A £500 saw will be huge, probably. A 'small' bandsaw will sit on a workbench and have a capacity of at least 8" wide and 3" thick, and will cost maybe £100, but I'm not sure exactly how much british pounds are or what the market is like over there.

wow,i was always put off by starting a body from scratch,i've just bought rough outlines on ebay :D

well i guess i will look into a small bandsaw for the summer projects lol

thanks

oh,will they be able to handle the thick guitar bodies?

wow,i was always put off by starting a body from scratch,i've just bought rough outlines on ebay :D

well i guess i will look into a small bandsaw for the summer projects lol

thanks

oh,will they be able to handle the thick guitar bodies?

Depends on the wood and the power of the bandsaw, really. Check the max depth of cut, and you'll want a good bit more than your max if at all possible. The larger the wheels, the less stress on the blade (no tight bends), and the more power, the smoother the cut. Also, from what I understand, the thing that seperates an OK saw from a great saw is a good setup, so I'd consider getting a book on bandsaw setup and tuning. I'm still trying to find the space for a nice Scheppach, MiniMax or similar, but so far, no luck...

• 3 weeks later...

If your on a budget the Delta 9" bandsaw is the best for the money. I tend to agree with Wes, it's the only small bandsaw I'd recommend. It's suprisingly strong for it's size. A scroll saw is great for cutting out templates, etc., but if I only had to have one, it'd be a bandsaw, handsdown. That's just my opinion though.

Guitarfrenzy, your comment pushed me over the edge. I was at the Woodsmith shop today and saw a Delta 9" saw for $99 bucks and went home with it. I've got it put together and my job this weekend is to follow the manual very carefully and set it up.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and sharing your experiences. I appreciate it!

While I was there, I also picked up a flush cut saw, a two handed Microplane shaper for making necks, two pieces of birdseye maple (only $13!!) and a piece of indian rosewood (only $11!), all neck sized blanks. I love that store. I wish I could live there. :D