"drop Down" Headstock?

I've been following Karosa's neck auctions for a while now --he uses beautiful woods...too bad he doesn't make set necks (I've tried to convince him that there's a big market for them).

Here's one that ending today: Karosa neck

Anyone have any opinions on using the 'drop down' headstock design for a Gibson-style guitar? It's the same headstock as Fender uses, right?

Seems to me it'd be easier to make than an angled headstock (without using a scarf joint), especially since you don't need extremely thick wood for it.

In fact, I've got a couple planks of some nice old birch that would perfect...

I'm assuming that there's no issue with using this type of headstock with an angled neck, right? Obviously, it wouldn't work for a Gibson replica, but for anything else, why not?

Might require string trees, but that's not a big deal...although (brace yourself, another hair brain idea coming...I'm going to start a new thread for that one... :D

Anyone have any opinions on using the 'drop down' headstock design for a Gibson-style guitar? It's the same headstock as Fender uses, right?

Seems to me it'd be easier to make than an angled headstock (without using a scarf joint), especially since you don't need extremely thick wood for it.

In fact, I've got a couple planks of some nice old birch that would perfect...

I'm assuming that there's no issue with using this type of headstock with an angled neck, right? Obviously, it wouldn't work for a Gibson replica, but for anything else, why not?

Might require string trees, but that's not a big deal...although (brace yourself, another hair brain idea coming...I'm going to start a new thread for that one...  :D

Mick, I've got a late 60s Framus that uses that kind of headstock. It has a combination hold-down/guide piece to have a good break angle over the zero fret. Here's a link to a pic of one with the same type headstock, though mine is an archtop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Framus-acousti...bayphotohosting