Jointer

I have been looking into obtaining a jointer lately. I have a 13" planer but it doesn't completely solve my wood prep issues. I don't have a lot of space left in my shop but I guess I could make room for a full size (free standing) jointer. The benchtop jointer (Delta) looks appealing. The only knock against it (as I have read) is that it is not big enough to do large pieces of lumber. For building guitars, I would think it should be fine. Anyone use one?

I've also looked into alternatives to paying the big bucks for a jointer (hand tools, router table, ...) but they all present problems of thier own (at least for me they do). I know this is a very controversial topic amongst woodworkers and I have read many articles where some people swear you never need a jointer and others who say they couldn't live without one. I'd just like to hear from some guitar builders and see what your opinions are.

Thanks,

Dave

The benchtop I was looking at is a 6" Delta :

Benchtop Jointer

If my wife sees me bringing home another power tool, she's probably going to flip out. If I can avoid the more expensive stationary jointer (%500 an up) that would help avoid any deep wounds. I don't know if it would have enough power for the real hard woods, but my guess is that it would.

those deltas are nice little jointers! i think it would be plenty sufficient for guitar building! and if your worried about the power of the motor on harder woods, just make the cut depth a little shallower. as for the wife problem.lol ive had the same issues! but i find if you make her something nice with the tool then she usually forgets about it! :D

I use a dinky little 200$ craftex 4" jointer, works fine, and it's so great, cause u can just make ur own straight edges out of some spair ebony or something. I wish i had a planer though :D the only one i can afford around here is the Craftex 12½" model, but i'm worried that'll just barely do it for me.

The one I was looking at (the Delta) was going for around $200 (US) at one point in time, so that's what really made it appealing to me. As for the planer, what size would you like to have? I have a 13" Rigid planer and it does a good job for me. It's a bit tight for body blanks, but it does fit. I think the price jumps quite a bit after 13".

I was fortunate enough to get a large jointer off a guy at work who just wanted to get rid of it. $100 ! An old Craftsmen Model # 113.206933(Back when they made quality stuff.)Also got the Delta 12 1/2" planer.

The jointer is also great for the neck face before fingerboard placement.