Dimebucker By Seymour Vs Bill Lawrence L500

kamikazi

B) hello guys here !! nice to meet u all i am from singapore well i have come to read of the previous post stated that the dimebucker by seymour duncan was a replica of bill lawrence's L500 pickup and i would like to know if there are still any difference between the both?? what would you recommend if i were to put both dimebucker by seymour duncan and bill lawrence's L500 to a all out test?? a win win situation or win lose?? would like to hear from u guys views here :D cause i just upgraded my SL2H to a dimebucker hehehe :D

This caused quite a conflict last time I saw this question posted. I think the basic answer is that the SD isn't really supposed to be a COPY of the BL version. It is supposed to be Dime's SD product - and I'll leave it at that.

For what it's worth, I have the Dimebucker installed in an all maple guitar and really like it. I have not tried the BL product but plan to.

This caused quite a conflict last time I saw this question posted. I think the basic answer is that the SD isn't really supposed to be a COPY of the BL version. It is supposed to be Dime's SD product - and I'll leave it at that.

For what it's worth, I have the Dimebucker installed in an all maple guitar and really like it. I have not tried the BL product but plan to.

Hi and thanks for ya info and views for a duncan dimebucker well i got my dimebucker as well slammed into my jackson sl2H and hell i like my current tone of my guitar :D so sorry i hope i didnt sound harsh when i said " seymour duncan is a replica of bill lawrence's L500 i am a duncan lover too :D much for this i just wanna find out more about bill lawrence's L500 pickup this is my first time knowing it after reading previous post from you guys here and i decided to get down registered and most to learn more from you guys here hehhee

so what do you guys here have to say for bill 's L500 ? i am planning to buy one too yet i am from southeast asia singapore would be harder for me though i guess kakaka

If I understand the sequence of events correctly (and that's always open to debate), Dime used the Bill Lawrence 500XL (made by Bill Lawrence, not the USA guys who sell those wretched Swampkasters), but since Bill's operation was unable to supply the demand, and Bill was unwilling to complicate his life again to make the necessary expansion, SD was commissioned to produce a similar pickup for use in the signature Dimebag guitars. For what my opinion is worth, while I personally prefer the 500XL, the Dimebucker is a great pickup, and dismissing it as a copy of anything is doing it an injustice. It's certainly strong enough to stand on its own merits.

If I understand the sequence of events correctly (and that's always open to debate), Dime used the Bill Lawrence 500XL (made by Bill Lawrence, not the USA guys who sell those wretched Swampkasters), but since Bill's operation was unable to supply the demand, and Bill was unwilling to complicate his life again to make the necessary expansion, SD was commissioned to produce a similar pickup for use in the signature Dimebag guitars. For what my opinion is worth, while I personally prefer the 500XL, the Dimebucker is a great pickup, and dismissing it as a copy of anything is doing it an injustice. It's certainly strong enough to stand on its own merits.

That's the way I understand it as well and when the Dimebucker was produced I remember a lot of discussion on the SD forum about it being a copy but Evan Skop of SD went into the details on the differences and they are fairly significant.

thanks for all your kind information on the dimebucker and bill lawrence :D well i admit that my previous ad was too harsh on duncan pickups so sorry for that yet i still like my dimebucker B) still i will venture out to try a bill lawrence L500 pickup i think bill lawrence is more of a customised pickup company hehe anyway please keep the post going and i would like to hear more of bill lawrence pickups and seymour duncan pickups :D

Edited by kamikazi

I believe Dime played on L500-L's, not the L500-XL. I was reading on the Bill Lawrence forum a while back that the Dimebucker was actually a copy of a PROTOTYPE that Bill and Becky had wound up custom for testing by Dime in a new signature Washburn guitar. They sent a few pickups to Washburn, known internally as the L500-L+, and about a year later after hearing nothing back from Washburn the Dimebucker was introduced by Duncan--an exact, wind-for-wind copy of the L+ prototype.

In short, Bill and Becky got screwed by Washburn. Understandably, Washburn probably figured out that B&B couldn't keep up with demand of the new guitar, so they "outsourced" to a bigger company. Probably why Bill decided to provided his "services" directly to Fender for the SCN and Danny Gatton pickups rather than just wind a few prototypes and let himself get screwed again by another big guitar company.

I have no doubt that the Dimebucker is a fine pickup for what it was designed to be and Duncan is worlds better than the Wajcman pickups, but if the story's true, I don't think I could really ever buy one.

I believe Dime played on L500-L's, not the L500-XL. I was reading on the Bill Lawrence forum a while back that the Dimebucker was actually a copy of a PROTOTYPE that Bill and Becky had wound up custom for testing by Dime in a new signature Washburn guitar. They sent a few pickups to Washburn, known internally as the L500-L+, and about a year later after hearing nothing back from Washburn the Dimebucker was introduced by Duncan--an exact, wind-for-wind copy of the L+ prototype.

In short, Bill and Becky got screwed by Washburn. Understandably, Washburn probably figured out that B&B couldn't keep up with demand of the new guitar, so they "outsourced" to a bigger company. Probably why Bill decided to provided his "services" directly to Fender for the SCN and Danny Gatton pickups rather than just wind a few prototypes and let himself get screwed again by another big guitar company.

I have no doubt that the Dimebucker is a fine pickup for what it was designed to be and Duncan is worlds better than the Wajcman pickups, but if the story's true, I don't think I could really ever buy one.

Ohh i see hehe thanks for sharing :D well i would probably see bill lawrence pickup being a custom pickup for professional artist?? far as i know seymour duncan is also a good pickup company that mass produce their wonderful product :D i got a jazz SHN2 by duncan and is was good!!!! hehehe what do you think of duncan company itself?? and dimarzio or EMGs?? what are e dfference?? ibanez players tends to use more dimarzio so what if i puts a duncan in it??

dime played the L's and the XL's. he used a R/L combo on the CFH album and moved to XL after that.

the L+ is maybe the XXL, which is the prototype of which you speak (possibly) that was never released

Duncan's a great company and Seymour has done a lot for the music community--probably as much if not more than Leo Fender himself. I actually just put a couple of Duncan pickups in my Les Paul last weekend and I've used various models of Duncans over the last 7 years.

I did almost try a set of Dimarzio's instead, but the only place that still carries them around Kansas City is Guitar Center. I don't know what's up with them, but the people there didn't know anything about the pickups they were selling, and I didn't want to be stuck with a set of special-order pickups (AirZone and AirClassic) if I didn't care for them, so I stuck with the Duncan '59 and APH-1 instead.

I'd say try to find some guitars equipped with a set of pickups you're interested in, and go from there. That's what I usually do.

Duncan's a great company and Seymour has done a lot for the music community--probably as much if not more than Leo Fender himself. I actually just put a couple of Duncan pickups in my Les Paul last weekend and I've used various models of Duncans over the last 7 years.

I did almost try a set of Dimarzio's instead, but the only place that still carries them around Kansas City is Guitar Center. I don't know what's up with them, but the people there didn't know anything about the pickups they were selling, and I didn't want to be stuck with a set of special-order pickups (AirZone and AirClassic) if I didn't care for them, so I stuck with the Duncan '59 and APH-1 instead.

I'd say try to find some guitars equipped with a set of pickups you're interested in, and go from there. That's what I usually do.

thanks for ya info fellow friends and sorry for my late reply and appreciation :D