Blue Masking Tape

dayvo

Hey guys

I've noticed on a lot of 'In Progress' etc. pictures that a pale blue tape is used to cover areas and/or possibly protect them when staining , clear coating etc.

Does this tape have any advantages over paper masking tape?, if so, what are they?

Can anyone give me a link to the manufacturers website, or where I can buy it from?

dayvo :D

The best masking tape I've used is by 3M corp. , the blue stuff. There is blue, green and white masking tape out there. White masking tape is the worst for leaving sticky residue behind but has the greatest adherance. The green tape is middle ground for both functions. The blue tape has adequate adherence and leaves behind the least glue residue, but is the most expensive.

A couple tips for spraying around masked areas:

1. Don't let the finish cure entirely before removing tape. You could end up with parts of the finish sticking to the tape and when removed, the tape will take chips along with it. I usually remove tape about 1/2 hour after spraying.

2. When removing tape you invariably end up with a raised edge on your paint job. This edge is a pain in the butt and has to be feather sanded down. Having to sand it down is a risk and too much sanding could cause you to break thru the paint. To get a smooth finish lay the tape down slightly over the area to be painted and then gently roll up the edge. When you spray the aspirated paint feathers into the rolled corner giving you a smooth transition from painted to unpainted area. However, it takes a bit of practice to roll the tape so your edge is even.

Edited by Southpa

I should maybe change my avitar, I'm starting to think like him :D

I went to 3M's site and cant find any mention of the blue tape

Could you give me a link?

Regards

By the way, thanks for the painting info

Edited by dayvo

Hey I am very interested in masking but i afraid with the faux binding, neck and fretboard, veneer etc masking. I didnt really get the curly thing with the tape to get smooth transactions. Can you maybe give a couple pics. It would really help. Thanks. Cos masking is one of my nightmares I may come to face after my bods is cut out.

Hey I am very interested in masking but i afraid with the faux binding, neck and fretboard, veneer etc masking. I didnt really get the curly thing with the tape to get smooth transactions. Can you maybe give a couple pics. It would really help. Thanks. Cos masking is one of my nightmares I may come to face after my bods is cut out.

I'm checking this stuff out for my first build, so you may be better off asking one of the other guys for help/information :D

I didnt really get the curly thing with the tape to get smooth transactions. Can you maybe give a couple pics. It would really help.

Here is an example. As I'm not currently doing any painting I just slapped a piece of tape onto a board to show you what I mean. :D The trick is to get your edge just perfect. If its a straight run you can roll the tape up onto a steel ruler. I prefer to draw a faint pencil line that follows the contour of my paint edge which will later be covered. Either way it takes quite a bit of practice.

I've used this technique quite a bit when prepping/masking boats before the painter does his thing. But the basic idea is a gradual thinning of paint between the painted and unpainted surface rather than having an abrupt edge.

masking8vf.jpg

Edited by Southpa

Gee Thanks, coming on to that, is it possible to paint and lacquer a strat neck without binding? Would the paint stick out when it meets the fretboard? And how many coats of laquer should it have? I don't know if it'll be weird because I have a white skunk stripe painted on the entire body upto the neck and onto the headstock

is it possible to paint and lacquer a strat neck without binding?

Sure

Would the paint stick out when it meets the fretboard?

Just mask up the fretboard and let some of the tape hang over the sides. Then roll the tape back to the glue joint between neck wood and fretboard.

And how many coats of laquer should it have?

Thats entirely up to you. If you can get the lacquer laid down smooth enough then less sanding/polishing is required. If you are a bit leery about breaking thru the paint, clear or whatever, then more coats give a better comfort zone for sanding.

Edited by Southpa

The best masking tape I've used is by 3M corp. , the blue stuff. There is blue, green and white masking tape out there. White masking tape is the worst for leaving sticky residue behind but has the greatest adherance. The green tape is middle ground for both functions. The blue tape has adequate adherence and leaves behind the least glue residue, but is the most expensive.

The Duck Brand blue masking tape is almost as good as the 3m stuff but a lot cheaper. I've used it and the 3M blue masking tape when refinishing necks and what not and it's worked great.

GBT